{03.} Oh, Crêpe!

CHAPTER THREE

Oh, Crêpe!

- not yet edited -

- not yet edited -

The radio blasted Bruno Mars' voice around the kitchen, its beats vibrating the charms on Tori's bracelet as she took inventory of the pantry. Lucas was at the sink, squirting soap from the bottle onto a dish. He sang along to the tune and bobbed his head while scrubbing away caked-on leftovers.

"Can you turn that down? I'm trying to focus." Tori had lost count three times already. She resorted to using a finger to mark each case of flour, starting over at number one.

Lucas agreed and turned the dial of the radio to lower the sound. "I have to keep myself awake somehow. I started the day at three o'clock this morning and it's almost ten."

Seven. Eight. Nine. Tori recorded the number on a notepad and then set it on a counter. A look at her brother showed her how tired he was - his eyes heavy and his posture slouched over the sink. It looked like his legs would give out any minute. It reminded her of the days when he would come home with bruised arms and sore legs from basketball practice. Tori would stay up with him as he tended to his injuries with a frozen package of vegetables. Oh, how the tables have turned. Here they were: at age twenty-six and twenty-nine, Lucas washing the dishes for his little sister.

"You're right." she sighed, and put a hand on her brother's well-muscled shoulder. "You should be getting home. I've kept you here long enough. Thank you for helping today. Is it okay if I call you in later this week?"

Lucas smiled, despite his drowsiness. "Call me tomorrow if you need me."

Tori wanted to hug him, but knew that he would protest. Instead, she squeezed his shoulder. "Thank you."

Chantal pushed open the door and sauntered into the kitchen, pushing past Lucas with a dramatic flair. He gave his sister a side glance, but stayed standing by the door. Whatever Chantal was so worked up about, he wanted to see it.

She untied the strings of her apron and tossed it onto a nearby counter. "We made 2,300 dollars today, ladies and gentlemen." She announced, and clapped her hands together as if she was giving herself a high-five.

"Great! We can pay on our loan with today's earnings." Tori said, her voice mocking Chantal's excitement.

Chantal lowered her eyes at her friend. "It's a start, Tori. That's one less thing we have to worry about at the end of the month." She picked up a clean towel from a drawer and started wiping away the water on a baking dish. "So I've been meaning to ask you: what did that guy from the bar want?"

Lucas' head perked up. "What guy?"

Tori leaned her back against the island, crossing her arms over her chest and letting out a sigh. She didn't want to bring it up, but now is as good as ever. It was harmless. Caiden was lying and she knew it. "He gave me his card." She pulled the paper from the pocket of her apron and held it out to Chantal.