"Whoa, there missy. You knows not one person can understand anything yous say, when your mouth is movin' at that speed. Slow down and tell me, whas goin' on." Patricia stated, grabbing her plate and sliding into the chair in front of Jane. Her mother poured salt and butter on her grits then a splat of ketchup on her eggs. Jane's taste buds were much sweeter while her mothers where more tart.

Jane let out a long sigh then gulped down a big spoonful of grits. After taking a small bite out of one slither of bacon, she looked back up at her mother.

"Well, you see, there's gone be a party tonight and I'd really, really, really like it if I could go. I know it's a bit lat-" Jane got cut off by her mothers grunt and then she rolled her eyes.

"A bit late? Why didn't you tell me 'bout this party the second you wanted to go? I had already made plans for us!" Patricia shouted, making her long wavy auburn hair flutter.

"But Mom-" Jane got cut off once more, making me her drop her spoon and lean back in her chair, crossing her arms and shaking her head.

"No, Jane, you ain't going and that's final." Patricia finished, biting harshly into her crispy, brown bacon.

Jane felt her eyes well up as she got up quickly from the table and marched to the door. Jeff looked from Jane to Patricia, confused. 

"And where do you think you're gone go, young lady?" Jane's mom asked, glaring at her.

"Anywhere but here." Jane retorted, giving one last evil glare at her mom and rolling her eyes at her dad.

Jane pushed through the screen door of her house and felt the warm air engulf her. The clouds overhead gave out all bad news, and Jane considered going back in the house but soon discarded the thought. The sky was a hot pink shade laced with orange slithers and prickles of blue. Various shaped clouds appeared every so often being a odd yellow and orange color. It was simply breathtaking, Jane thought. At 4:00 it never looked like this.

Snapping out of her trance, Jane hopped off the porch and started walking to the left, away from Janice's house. For some reason, she didn't feel like seeing her. Bouncing on her tip-toes, as Jane always did, she headed up the street, trying to shake her thoughts. Jane really wasn't really mad she couldn't go to the party, she was upset because her chances to steal a look at the white boy were gone. She knew her friends would be disappointed but she didn't care, Jane only wanted to see him. Or even know his name, his personality, his dimples she'd caught for a split second when they 'talked'.

But maybe Jane was being to far-fetched? She didn't even know for sure if he was gonna go to the party, for crying out loud!

Jane had been so caught up in her thoughts, she bumped into a figure and fell to the ground with a grunt.

"Ouch!" Jane yelped, rubbing the tender spot on her butt.

"Uh, I so sorry, ma'am." A voice responded, reaching down to help her up.

Jane looked up and into the eyes of Calvin, the nice, shy boy who had a major crush on her ever since her first laid eyes on her, which was 2nd grade.

Calvin met her eyes also and a goofy smile lit up his face.

"Oh, Jane!" He smiled, helping her up more carefully now.  

"Well, Hello, Calvin." Jane sighed, getting to her feet and brushing some of the dirt of her romper.

Calvin has brown skin a bit darker than Janes and brown eyes that go well with it. He is shorter than Jane and wears the silliest overalls and glasses. Jane might have seen him as 'cute' if she hadn't knew him so long and if he hit a growth spurt. 

He slid his glasses up his slender nose only to have them slide down again.

"You look mighty fine! Dressin' for the party already? Why it don't start for another," Calvin looked down at the huge, silver watch ticking on his wrist. "Three hours." He finished, grinning broadly at Jane.

"I ain't going." Jane muttered, kicking random rocks.

"Why?" 

"Can't."

"Hmm, wells I'd really like you to go! What's it? You needa ride or what?" Calvin asked, crossing his arms over his weak chest.

"My mamma say I can't go."

"Thas a shame! Want me to sneak in your winda' and sing sweetly to ya'? I been practicin' mighty hard an' I'm thinkin' I've gotten purtty good." Calvin suggested, nudging her slightly with his shoulder.

Jane promptly rolled eyes. Calvin coming into her room and singing to her? He musta been crazy! Maybe she wouldn't complain if the white boy did it, but Calvin? No.

"It's really fine, I'll be superb." Jane said, starting to turn back the other way.

Calvin's small hand wrapped around her wrist and he looked pleadingly at her. 

"Please come. I don't wanna arrive by myself, but I really wanna go! Please, Jane, this one time?" Calvin begged. 

Jane's mind went through the outcomes of each choice. Go to the party, see the beautiful boy and get in so very much trouble. Or stay home, be depressed and bored, then never get to see the boy again. This was a hard choice, but when the boys perfect blue eyes flashed in her head, Jane's mind was made up.

"Okay, meet me here at 7:45. Got it?" Jane sighed.

-------------------------------------------

HEY, GUYS !(: so I know I haven't posted in FOREVER, but I've been busy with school/basketball/friends so yeah. Umm, next chapter will include party and Robert's POV. So, vote/comment/fan/Add to reading list and I will do the same. Bye(: