Why me?

" What pals? Im a loner," he growled.

I sighed. " The ones who left you, because you wanted to be the best. "

He comes out of the shadows with a longing face. I start to feel bad.

" Them," he growls, "you are not anything like them right? "

" Um... No. I was born wild, unlike them. Why do you ask? "

" No reason. Why did you come here anyways? "

I studied him for a second. He looked healthy and strong. He must have noticed because he chuckled.

" What! ", I snapped

" Your answer? "

" We, I mean they want you back. Not to be their leader, but their friend. "

" No. I am only meant to be a leader. Not have someone else ruling me. "

I snort as he walked back into the shadows.

" Wait! ", he turns, "can you just come, and try it? "

"I guess. "

He sounds very discussed, but I do not care! He follows me out the door where we meet Killer sleeping. I paw him in the stomach, and he wakes up. There is fear in his eyes though, and it is not because of Ruff. He nods to Ruff and I, and we walk off.

*~~~*

Once we get "home", I pull Killer aside. Ruff eyes us carefully.

" What was wrong? ", I whisper.

" I had a dream. "

" Oh," I start to walk walk away

" Wait! It was not just any dream. You were in it, and we were just watching you. A dark dog pack came out, and raced across the land. They came for us. Biting and ripping us apart, but you saved us. You killed the leader, and saved us all! You must lead us through everything, we need you to be our leader. "

I stare in shock at his words. I do not know what to say.

" Let me think," is all I come up with. He nods, and walks off. I think about what I have gotten myself into, and think, why me?