Chapter Twenty-seven

Start from the beginning

Bruce's soft voice startled us both. "Is everything okay here?"

I let go and threw myself at his body, forcing him to grab onto me before I sent us both tumbling to the floor. It was a hard fall that sent an "Oof!" out of him, but he took it all in his stride as usual. Cool as a cucumber. "Congratulations! A baby boy!" I said in his face.

"Ah," his hand stroked my back as he chuckled to himself. My sister's husband was a handsome man at just over six foot with choppy auburn hair, the brightest blue eyes framed by the longest eyelashes ever, and when he smiled it just lit up every piece of you. "I understand the giggles now. Yes, we're having a boy. Can you believe it?"

I pulled back with my hands resting on his shoulders when he followed me and accepted the quick hug I gave before climbing to my feet, holding a tonne of respect for him. "I couldn't have wished for a better husband for my sister. I love you so much, Bruce."

It seemed impossible for him to speak when he choked out. "You're so wonderful to me. I love you very much too."

I patted his elbow in thanks, looking between the pair of them. "So, what's the plan for tonight? Are we going to see mum and dad or do you both have plans?"

Hanna grabbed my hand while Bruce got my bag from the boot of my car, walking the quick steps to their house. "Did you think we would let you visit and not spend quality time with you? Really, sis?"

I shrugged my shoulders out of my jacket and hung it up on their fancy coat rail. "I'm easy. I thought if you had plans already, I could go spend some time with mum and dad. No worries."

She shook her head at me, ushering me further into the house so the warmth of the coal fire submerged us into the living room. I loved that they kept the original features of their Victorian home. The intricate trim on the high ceilings was really something else. It echoed if you spoke loud enough sometimes, too. "Not going to happen. Time with my baby sis will be precious soon."

To me, it was as if the devastation had brought us closer somehow. It forced us back in one another's lives again, and for that I was grateful. I had always adored my sister; she was my absolute world. "I know, that's all going to change soon. Especially now you're going to be a mummy. I want to help as much as possible with the baby."

"That's great, Tabby. I want you here with us as much as you can be," she replied, lowering herself down on the couch to turn on the television.

I pulled the enormous leather bean bag from its place near the grandfather clock to settle down. It was big enough to lie out on, so I did, enjoying the warmth from the fire blowing over my feet. "You'll both be sick of me by the time baby turns one."

Hanna snuggled down with a blanket wrapped around her feet. "You're kidding, aren't you? My friend from work said that she didn't know how she would've survived without help from family when her little one got here. I'm taking all I can get."

Bruce came back into the room with a handful of takeout leaflets, handing a few to me, before plonking himself next to Hanna. They kissed hard on the mouth, hands wandering underneath the blanket when she pulled it over him as well. "You choose, sis."

I picked up the Thai menu. Red Thai beef curry, I thought. Hell, yes! "Is Thai going to upset your belly?"

Hanna shook her head when she caught my eyes on her, enjoying the way Bruce played with her hair. "Nope. I'm good for a bit of curry. Thai is my craving food."

"Shall we have that then?" I said, reading every dish carefully to be sure I missed nothing. Bruce kept his fingers in Hanna's hair as he bent over the arm of the couch to grab the house phone from the table beside him. "Yeah, sounds good to me. I'll order it now because they get busy on a Friday night. What does everybody want?"