Chapter Ten

EVERLASTING LOVE
chapter title:
POINT OF NO RETURN

"What the hell was that Asher!"

We are on the other side of the double doors now, Anna makes her frustration very clear.

"It's called leading. To remind you I'm the leader, so you follow." 

I stand awkwardly, I can feel the eyes of every crew member on me. The anticipation for the report on our team grows inside me.

Anna throws her hands into small fist out of anger. She walks away murmuring to her self.

"Sure. Only for your precious Clary," Anna says loud enough for it to make its way above the small noice level in the hall.

This causes a few snickers and smirks from the other team members, I stand awkwardly. I'm not sure if I should be offended or not?

"What was that Anna."

Anna turns back around to speak her mind, "We all know you would only stay for Clary! If it were me you would've put the mission first like you should have!"

"IN ORDER. NOW," Asher's voice is icy, it sends a chill down my spine as we stand in our line, hands at salute.

Asher stands right in Anna's face. He brings his volume down to a low calm rumble, even scarier then the yell.

"Listen solider, I lead. I was put as captain so the least you can do is show the title respect. If you so much as say another word around me that suggest you've lost that respect, I will have you removed."

He looks down the hall, no one dares to even breathe. Anna's face was clearly red and flustered. He utters one last promise with the most sincerity.

"You are all replaceable."

The tension is tight, it increases as we see the clipboard man from before. Only this time his face is flustered. We all turn around and face the man, waiting.

He taps repetitively on his clipboard out of nervousness, which makes me feel even worst. I can tell he is confused and little shaken by our teams results. He coughs slightly and chokes out our results.

"Erm- Well. You see, we've never seen a team reach the goal this kind of way. So we are not sure how to grade this. Some of us considered it...cheating. Therefore, you all are suspended from duty until further notice. When we have graded your test you will be notified."

The man nods his head and exits. We are all left in shock by the news. I wait for Anna's expected crude remark, but one look from Asher and she is silent.

I make my way to the locker room, feeling like the enemy of who are suppose to be my team mates. The locker rooms atmosphere is only worst as people pass by me to leave.

"Nice Clary."
"Team work huh? Whatever."
"Now I'm out of a job, thanks Fairchild."

I receive many more comments as the whole team has packed their bags and left me alone. When I'm finally stripped and back into my casual clothes I stay seated on the bench, in the silence of the locker room.

"Hey."

I look up and Asher is above me, scratching his head sheepishly. I cover my mouth at my realization of how disappointed he must be.

"Oh- god. I'm so sorry Asher. I know you must've dreamed about the day you would become a real commanding officer- and it's my fault I-"

Asher chuckles and sits beside me, dropping his bag by his feet. I look at him confused by his oddly chill attitude.

"It's not your fault, you did exactly what I knew you could do," He smiles genuinely.

"The clave is picky. They don't trust anything that isn't written down on a page created 10000 years ago by some old men. Like I said, your special. There isn't a special category on their rules. When they finally realize your potential, like I have, they'll be begging for you to come back. I just hope they'll keep me too."

I'm surprised, this is the first time Asher has ever said anything against the clave, even though it was barley an insult. Wasn't he like raised by the clave's rules?

"Of course you'll be a leading officer, your meant for that job. I mean did you see Anna's face? She was terrified."

We both laugh, easing the thoughts that had been going through my mind. I grab my bag and toss it over my shoulder, feeling much better then before.

"Yeah well, she deserved it.
She's got a temper."
"Yeah, well her and the whole
team must hate me now."
"They'll get over it."

We're both leaving the building now, the clouds have taken over making it darker. I can feel the small drops of rain on my nose and hair. I look back at Asher and start to say my goodbye, I hadn't notice how closely he had been walking with me.

"I guess I'll see you when they-"

He pulls me closer, my heart skips 100 beats killing the easy going mode. One of his hands is on my back at the bottom of my spine, so he can close the distance between us. His other is on my cheek, slowly his thumb makes its way to my lip. The rain is soaking us, I would be cold but the tension and closeness of our two bodies keep me warm. I can barley keep control of my breathing, I'm loosing my ability to stand up. I'm melting in his arms that are only firm and stable.

He leans in closer, I make no effort to fast forward to what's coming next, but I also make no effort to stop him. His lips graze just past mine, and find my ear. In that same deep and calm voice he whispers.

"I want to kiss you, but not yet."

In less than a second he lets me go and pulls his grey hood over his head turning his back away from me.

"And Clary, Anna wasn't wrong."
He shouts over the loudness of the pouring rain before jogging off.

I am left standing in the rain, in total shock. I'm cold, I'm confused, and I'm disappointed.

____________

A/N 

TEAM:
#CASHER    Or    #CLACE

Hello, see I promised I'd update more often!

I PROMISE THIS IS A CLACE STORY
CLARY IS JUST OUT OF HER MIND
I PROMISE NEXT CHAPTER IS A WHOLE CLARY AND JASE ONLY HOT MESS

But really...
What do you guys think of Asher tho?
Hot? Annoying? Hottly annoying?