Eins

Everybody was rushing out the building. The reason? I don't know. I was clueless but I let my own feet drag me to wherever the people were going. There were small gushes and mention of names but their footsteps were more audible for me to interpret.

What's going on? is what I asked most of the time while I was in this place. A newbie of all sorts is what I am. Echo Sanitarium isn't the job place everyone dreamed of. How could it be when everyday, all you see are mad people, surrounding themselves with some things you are not capable of understanding?

The entrance glimmered with bright lights that shone the dark insides of the building. Blue, white, and red lights were as vibrant as the sky. Sounds of loud police car sirens were almost as evident.

"This is it! He's here!" I heard my co-employee scream. Her tone was somewhat eager and excited. Who gets excited when seeing a police car?

I hid behind a post and silently lurked for answers. I waited patiently for whatever or whoever is inside that police car that made the staff leave their work for the sake of this 'welcoming.' After a few seconds, the police car lights and sirens were shut completely off and the only remaining sounds were the staff's endless whispers.

Two policemen got out of the car and walked to the door of the passenger seats. One opened the car door while the other pulled the man out of the vehicle.

At that very moment, I saw the most beautiful man I ever laid my eyes on.

He had his head bowed down while the policeman pushed him to walk inside the sanitarium premises. Everybody seemed to have the same reaction as mine; shocked and stunned by the new guy.

Is this why everyone rushed out to welcome this new patient? To see what he looked like in person? Were they aware of his coming whilst I was absent-minded?

Was he walking that slow? Or is it just me? Why is everything in slow-motion all of a sudden?

All these kinds of questions kept piling up in my mind yet I can't seem to find any of the answers. Hell, I don't even know why I'm working here.

"The show's over. Go back to work. You don't get paid for your excessive immaturity." All of our heads snapped to where Glenn, the owner of Echo Sanitarium, was. "A charming psycho can weaken your bones, then a serial killer can crush them ever so easily."

As the area cleared and all the employees have returned to their bases, I stayed behind to look for the new patient. I am not supposed to be a creep, but that guy is so intriguing. Creep. How ironic, isn't this place in general a lot creepier?

His cell was located on the 13th floor. I hastily hid myself from the policemen who were about to return to their police car. After they passed, I quickly skimmed every cell to see which one was his.

Cell 1325.

From afar, I observed him. Inside, his hands were now uncuffed and free. He was checking every corner of his small room while his back was facing me. His orange presinct suit fitted his frame perfectly.

"Approaching me is better than staring, you know."

I almost jumped out of my own skin when I heard him state those words. I remained silent.

Slowly, he turned around to face me. I saw those unique features of him again. He was really handsome and... different.

I finally decided to say something to him. I was so close to opening my mouth when he said something.

"Be careful." and then gave me the most wicked and goosebump riser smile. The corners of his lips rose up and his bright white teeth appeared between his red lips.