Prologue

September 18, 2001 

  "Daddy's home!" I yelled from the couch in front of the window where I was waiting for my father to return.

 I unlocked the front door and ran as fast as I could towards him, embracing him in a hug, "Daddy!" 

 He knelt down so that his eyes were level with mine and said with a mischievous smile, "I have a surprise for you in the car."

 "What is it? what is it?" I pleaded. 

 "It's a birthday present, but we have to wait for mommy, 'cause I know she'll want to be there when you open it." 

 "Okay," I replied slightly disappointed. 

 "Let's go inside, it's going to get dark soon."

 "Okay, daddy."

 He stood up and opened the passenger side door and got a huge box, wrapped in pink wrapping paper off the seat and took it inside, while I marveled at the size of the box and pondering what it could be. I stepped inside and closed the door, "Mommy! Daddy got me a present! Did you see it?" 

 "Yeah, I did! I wonder what it could be," she added with that loving smile that only she could give.

 I sat down on the couch, in front of the pile of presents on the coffee table, with the bigger presents on the floor. In the kitchen I could see a cake with many frosted and colorful flowers on it and a big number seven candle in the middle.

 "Can we do presents now?" I asked with excitement.

"Of course. After all it is your birthday." Said dad. 

 I took the smallest one and ripped the wrapping paper off. I smiled widely as I looked down at the brown-haired Barbie doll and looked at my mom and dad, "Thank you!"

 "You're welcome sweetheart," dad replied. 

      The next five minutes past, and I had opened all but one present; the biggest of them all. Since I couldn't carry it over to where I was, I walked over to it and started tearing off the paper. A few moments later it was completely unwrapped and I could finally tell what it was. My eyes grew wide as I saw what it was that he had gotten me. I went up to him and gave him a great big hug, and I thanked him for the gigantic Barbie doll house. 

 "Hey, do you want to go down to the docks with me?" He asked after moments of silence.

 "Yeah!"

 "Alright, let's go." 

 "Okay, bye mommy!"

 "Stay safe!" she called as we stepped outside. 

 I closed the door behind me, and strode over to the car and opened the door and then I sat inside, and my father closed the car door for me.

 As we got to the docks the sun had begun to set under the rolling waves. The half-visible sun reflected off the waves that continually crashed into each other. The only thing I admired more were the stars. I would spend hours at a time just admiring how brilliant the stars were, and every time I would look up at the night sky I would thank God for making them.

 I stepped onto our small boat with the help of my dad. He took out the fishing poles and we fished. And even though we caught nothing all time, we were happy to be in each other's presence.

 Soon it began to rain. Only a few drops at first, but then the rain got heavier and heavier, with thunder rumbling over our heads and lightning flashing in the dark. I stood there scared for my life, frozen in fear. Our only hope was if we could make it to shore, but we far out on the water, not expecting it to rain. The waves crashed against our small boat as if determined to not let us escape. 

Then a wave the size of the empire state building came right over our boat and right before it hit us my dad came and made sure that I held on for dear life, but it hit him and he fell. The last thing that he said to me before that wave hit was: "I love you"

 But I was so terrified that I couldn't speak. No words came out of my mouth when I tried to tell him that I loved him too, only silence. The deafening sound of silence. I began to try to calm myself down, speaking to the Lord, 'Please keep daddy safe. Please make the waves stop so that I can get to mommy, please.' 

 At that moment the rain began to stop, and the waves subsided. It was miraculous! 'Thank you' I whispered gently. I looked into the water, hoping beyond hope that my father would emerge from the water, and tell me that everything would be okay, but he never did and from that moment on I knew that nothing would be the same again. He was dead, and I would never see him again. 

      The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.  -Psalm 23

A/N sorry the chapter is so short i'm gonna try to make them longer. :P