Chapter 6

A/N Sorry for the short chapter. I just felt like that was a good chapter break. On the bright side, with 4 and 5 together, it's basically one chapter! Anyway, if you have a Supernatural fanfic, please tell me so I have one to read! I don't care whether it's finished it not, as long as there's at least one chapter, so I can add it to my library!

"Hello?" I say into my phone. "Avery?"
"Guess again," a sinister voice replies.
"I'm sorry, who is this?" I ask, trying to remove any trace of panic from my voice. What's going on?
"I think you know who this is."
That's about as much confirmation as I need. This is not Avery, and I'm sure of it. As much as I hate to think it's possible, I'm almost positive this is the demon that tried to kill me. It would explain why they're trying to reach me. They have a job to finish. What do I do?
"I'm sorry, I can't hear you," I lie. "I'm going to find better reception." I hurry to the main room, where everyone is chatting amongst themselves. Ruth is there now, too, talking to Rob and an uncomfortable Richard.
"Try turning your phone down in the morning," Ruth says to me by way of greeting, her Scottish accent not making me smile the way it usually does.
I hold the phone away from my mouth, covering up the microphone. "Guys!" I whisper-yell. As quiet as it was, it gets everyone's attention. "Everyone please shut up." I turn my phone on speaker and address the mysterious speaker. "Hello? Are you still here?"
"Of course," they reply.
"What the hell?" Jensen mouths at me. I know he's trying to figure out why I'm making them listen to this, but I don't want them to know they're on speaker.
"Who is this?" I ask again. "You don't sound like Avery." I add the last part to give the others some context.
"My name is my own, and I have no interest in sharing it with you."
"Damn, sensitive much?" I try for lightness, but it doesn't work as well as I'd hoped.
"I trust that your new friends are listening by now, and I thank you for making this so much easier."
Now everyone is giving me a puzzled look, but I'm no less confused than them.
"What do you mean?" I ask.
"I know you're with the hunters," they tell me, "and I'm sure you have alerted them to this call already. It makes it much easier to get their attention when their attention has already been gotten for me."
"I'm sorry, what are you calling for?" I ask.
"I have your friend. If you want her back, bring your hunters to the abandoned police station." They give me an address somewhere in Nevada, which I recognize as where Avery said she's from. "I would tell you not to call the police, but that shouldn't be an issue. If you aren't here by tomorrow morning, your friend is dead, and I'll find a new person."
There's a click to signify the end of the call. Everyone is silent for a moment, just looking at each other, waiting for someone to speak. Finally, Jared does.
"I guess we're going to Nevada."
"We're never going to make it by tomorrow morning," Jensen protests.
"You do realize you don't have to drive, right?" Misha reminds him. "We have enough celestial beings that we'll make it there in no time.
"Alright," Richard says. "It's settled. We're going to Nevada!"
"Now, or tonight?" Misha asks. "Because I feel like we do everything at night."
Jared shrugs. "Now?"
"Alright, I'm game."
"Wait," I say. "We're just going to go in there? Like, right now? Like this?"
Jared nods. "Yeah, basically. Why?"
"Well, they're expecting you to be there," I say. "Shouldn't you guys, like, have a plan or something?"
"I don't see why," Jared says. "Seems pretty simple. Go there. Kill them. Get friend. Leave. Not really the type of mission for an elaborate, 29 page plan, ya know?"
"Really? You actually do have easy cases?"
Jared nods. "Yep. They're just never interesting enough to make into episodes."
That's actually kind of sad. I figured their lives were full of interesting hunts, and they couldn't fit them all into episodes. Now I have to rethink the 'this is too easy, it's not going to work' thing when they're solving cases. Wait, what if this is one of those 'this is too easy, it's not going to work' cases? I mention this to them, but they brush it off, claiming there's no way they can mess this up.
"If you're so sure, let's go," I say finally.
"Let's? Like, let us? Like, us us?" Jensen repeats. "No, there's no us. Well, there's us, but there's no us us. Okay, you're not coming is what I'm trying to say."
"What?"
"You aren't coming," he repeats. "It's too dangerous for a normal human. Jared and I have been hunting for our entire lives, but everyone else is some other thing that isn't human that doesn't really require any special training. Except Ruth. She's human, but she's a witch so she's coming, so don't even bring her up either."
"You can't just leave me here alone!" I protest, since he covered every bit human I could use as leverage. A/N Have you seen Leverage? Mark Shepperd is in it sometimes. It's pretty cool. You should watch it. It's on Netflix.
"The bunker has been warded against everything. You're completely safe here, don't worry."
"It's not my safety I'm worried about. They want you guys, not me. I just don't want to be bored!"
"I feel like I'm babysitting a five year old," Jensen says.
"You can't leave a five year old all alone in the bunker while you go to the other side of the country," I say.
"You know what? We don't have to listen to this. Come on, let's go."
As soon as Jensen says this, I notice Misha straighten considerably, and I know I'm looking at Castiel. Richard slouches, and I can tell its Gabriel. Mark just stands still, nothing changing at all.
"Mark, what are you doing?" Gabriel asks. "Come on, we're leaving. Get Lucifer."
"I can't just get Lucifer," Mark replies, then, louder, says, "Lucifer WAKE UP, WE ARE LEAVING! GET OVER HERE RIGHT NOW OR I WILL SMASH YOUR HEAD WITH A LAMPSHADE!"
"You can't smash his head with a lampshade unless you're smashing your own head with a lampshade as well," Gabriel reminds him. "And he won't feel it anyway, so there's really no point."
Mark shrugs. "Eh, you try stuff. It didn't work anyway. He's not listening." I notice he glances at Rob when he says this, almost subconsciously.
"Hold on, I've got this," Gabriel says. He moves his mouth silently, and I know he's yelling at Lucifer in a way he can't ignore. "Nope. Nothing."
"Lucifer told me he just does what Castiel says because he gets annoyed he keeps bugging him," I remember. "Not sure if that would help."
Cas speaks silently, too, but once again, it doesn't work. "He won't say anything."
Gabriel sighs. "Alright, one more try." He mouths something enthusiastically, and even though I can't hear it, I can tell it's probably very exciting. I see his face fall, and he stops. "He told me to stop bugging him and he'll come out when he feels like it."
"World's longest temper tantrum," Rob mutters. "Well, that was a bust. Oh well, let's go."
As soon as I see Gabriel reach for Mark, I interrupt. "So Mark can go but I can't?"
They all look at each other uncomfortably, and I know I've got them. Once again, Jensen the babysitter is the one to answer.
"Mark has been in many battles. It's not like it's his first time. If you have to, though, we can bring you to Nevada, but only if you stay in the Nevada bunker.
I nod. "How many bunkers are there?"
Jensen looks at Jared for the answer, who tells me that there are "way too many to keep track of."
We poof over to the Nevada bunker, where they immediately drop me and leave. I'm beginning to wish I didn't agree to come here, because now I'm completely alone in a place I've never been, versus bring completely alone in a place I've been for the past couple days. They're built pretty similarly, so I have no problem finding the kitchen, which is completely empty. I sigh and go back to the main room, where I plop down on the couch and wait for them to come back.
I wasn't planning on taking a nap. I didn't even realize I was falling asleep. It's not completely my fault. It's still pretty early, and I'm usually not up by now anyway. I only know I fell asleep because when the door opens and I hear voices, I know it has not been the three hours the clock in front of me claims it has been. I sit up, ignoring my messed up hair, and watch them come in. Jared, Jensen, Castiel, Gabriel, Rob, Ruth, Crowley. Wait... Jared, Jensen, Cas, Gabriel, Rob, Ruth Crowley. That's only 7 people. They left with 8. I know it. So who's... Oh.
"Where's Mark?" I ask immediately.
They all look at each other, and, once again, it's Jensen that speaks, but his voice is solemn as he says, "I guess you were right. We really did need a plan."
That's one victory I can't be proud of. "What happened?"
Jared explains it to me. It wasn't as open and shut as they had expected. They went in and there was literally no one in sight. After a few minutes, their guard dropped, and that's when the demons came. Hundreds of them, all at once. Most of them manages to get out of there, but Mark was pulled away before they could grab him.
"I thought he'd be back by now," Rob says.
"What do you mean?" I ask. "He was stolen by demons basically. How's he going to get out?"
"We were hoping Lucifer would have stepped in and poofed him back," Gabriel explains. "I guess he really doesn't care anymore. The Lucifer I know-"
"The Lucifer you know would have been with us from the start, the front of the line, ready to kill some demons," Rob says. "He would never have allowed this to happen in the first place. That Lucifer is gone, and we already knew that."
"Don't pin this on him," Gabriel says angrily. "Do you remember why he left? Because of you. You scared him off, Rob. You wanted him to stop bothering you? Well, here you go. He stopped. Are you happy now?"
"GUYS!" Jensen yells. "WE HAVE BIGGER PROBLEMS THAN YOUR FAMILY FUED! YOU TWO BETTER SHUT UP SO WE CAN GET LUCIFER BACK, AND IF YOU TWO STILL WANT TO FIGHT AFTER THEN GO RIGHT AHEAD, BUT PLEASE, FOR THE SAKE OF ALL OF US, JUST SHUT YOUR TRAPS AND WORK WITH US!
That shuts them up immediately. I'm not the only one surprised at that outburst, as I can tell from the expressions of every other person here. Gabriel and Rob both mutter a quick "sorry," and the irony of God apologizing to his own creation is not lost on me.
"Alright, now what do we do?" Jensen asks, as if any of us know.
"I think we do the only thing we can do," Jared replies. "We think of a plan, and we try again."
"Anything I can do to help?" I ask hopefully.
"Help us think of a plan," Jared suggests.
Basically, the plan is just to stick together. We don't really know what we're up against, so we can't make a specific plan based off it. I guess the plan is just "don't do what we did last time."
They all get ready to leave immediately after they decide the really is no plan, because we don't know if the "you have until morning" rule still stands. As they're about to leave, Jensen looks back at me.
"Would you like to come with us?"
"What?" I couldn't have heard that right. After what happened to Mark, who was actually qualified for the job, I would have thought the opposition to me accompanying them would have been stronger than ever.
"I figured you wouldn't want to be stuck here again all alone."
"And I figured you'd want me stuck here all alone."
He shakes his head. "I'd rather you come with us, actually," he says. "I want to make sure we know exactly where you are."
"But after what happened to Mark, I would have thought you'd want me as far away as possible."
He shakes his head. "Nope."
"I don't know if I want to go anymore..." I say hesitantly.
"In which case you should just come, because we want you to go!"
I sigh. At first this seemed like a great idea, finally being involved in an important event, but now I see what can happen. I don't want to be the one that messes everything up because I'm not a fighter. I don't even do sports, and I don't have a gym membership either. I'm probably the least qualified person to go with them. I want to say no, but Jensen seems to actually want me to come, not just offering, and I can't say no to Jensen.
"Alright, I guess," I say hesitantly. "But I'm sorry in advance for what I mess up."
Jensen frowns. "Don't just assume you're going to fail, or you are going to fail. Basically, all you have to do is stay close and make it look like we have more fighters than we do."
I nod. "Okay. Let's go before I change my mind."
"You don't have to come if you don't want to," Gabriel says.
"But you should," Jensen adds quickly. "Because it's fun. And you can say you helped save the world. Which may be true if Lucifer ever comes in handy."
"Which is highly unlikely," Ruth adds.
I just roll my eyes. "Okay, but if I mess something up, it's not completely my fault."
I expect to be swarmed by demons as soon as we appear at the police station, but it's quiet. We go inside slowly, with Cas and Jensen in the lead and Gabriel and Jared at the end, in case someone shows up. The human and angel protection on both sides makes me feel a little better, but I'm still not very psyched to be here. We travel in a tight clump, but after twenty minutes, we still haven't found a single demon.
"This isn't working," Jensen observes.
"No dip, Sherlock," Gabriel replies.
"Why would a nineteenth century detective need to know there is no dip, and what does that have to do with this not working?" Castiel asks.
Gabriel sighs. "Forget it."
If I hadn't been so nervous about hunting, I might have laughed. I knew Castiel was clueless, but I figured it was exaggerated for the show. I remembere Metatron giving Cas the knowledge of all the movies, tv shows and books he's seen or read in his life, and I quickly wonder if that's how he knows about Sherlock. Is Metatron real? And, if so, is he as much of a douche as he is in the show?
A/N I love Metatron but I feel like everyone else hates him. Thoughts on him?
"I'm almost positive they know we're here," Jared says. "There's no way they would have missed us. My guess is they're waiting for us to split up."
"Our plan was literally just 'stick together' and now you want to split up?" Crowley says incredulously.
"It's the only way we'll get anything done," Jensen says. "They're waiting for us to. They won't come out until we do."
"And it's not like we're going to be completely alone," Jared adds. "Small groups work."
It seems like the only two who like the idea are Jared and Jensen, but since the brains of the operation approves, people don't put up too much of a fight about it. Mark is very vocal about how horrible the plan is, especially when he's paired with Ruth, but Rob stays with them, so I'm sure he'll keep them from killing each other. Since there are three directions to go in, they go down one, Jared and Cas go together, and I go with Jared and Gabriel through the last one.
We walk in silence, probably to avoid alerting the demons to our presence. I don't quite see the logic in that, seeing as we just split up because we want the demons to come out, but I don't ask. I give up trying to figure out where we're going pretty quickly, and just let them pick the way. We come to a hall that branches off into three different ways, with doors throughout them all. I glance at Jared, assuming he'll pick a direction for us.
Jared looks around, then turns to me. "Stay here. We're going to go check out the halls," he tells me. "Here's an angel blade. It will kill basically anything. You shouldn't need it, since there's no one here, but just in case. We'll be right back."
"Um... Okay?" I say hesitantly. Why are they leaving me here? I get that they think this place is safe, but wouldn't I be safer with them?
"What?" Gabriel doesn't seem to fond of this idea either. "Why would you ever think that's a good idea?"
"We don't know what's down here," he replies. "It's better to keep her out of the way."
Gabriel looks skeptical, and I'm sure that if it wasn't Jared saying this, he would have passed it off as some stupid idea. "Are you sure about this?"
Jared nods. "Trust me, I know what I'm doing." He looks back at me. "We'll be right back."
"See ya in a few minutes, kid," Gabriel says before following Jared down the hall on the left.
With them gone, I realize just how stupid I was to agree to this. I was never really given the option, but I could have told them I wanted to go with them. I should have, actually. Now I'm all alone in a strange building that's probably crawling with demons, holding an angel blade with no clue how to use it. I mean, I've never killed anyone before! I've never even hit someone! How am I supposed to stab someone if they come over here? I guess I just have to hope no one comes over here.
I hear the sound of footstep from down one of the halls. I quickly press my back against the wall farther at from the hall, hoping no one will see me. I hear a door open and then close, and I breathe quiet sigh of relief. They must have gone in one of the rooms. Still, I decide to stay against the wall, in case they come back.
I hear a woman's voice faintly from the hall, teasing and cruel. "Did you miss me?"
Then I hear another voice, one that, though it's tired hoarse, I recognize immediately.
It's Lucifer.