Leaving Footprints

Začít od začátku

He held up his grocery basket. "Oh, you know. Just came to socialize."

I rolled my eyes. "Alright, no need for the sass," I laughed. I noticed he looked a little different today, but I couldn't quite pinpoint why. Maybe it was his mop of soppy hair. No, that wasn't it. Then it dawned on me. "Where are your glasses?"

He touched the bridge of his nose as if just noticing they were missing. "Forgot them at home," he answered, shrugging it off cooly.

"Maybe you should think about contacts," I suggested. "It's a good look for you."

He shifted uncomfortably. I got the hint he didn't like being the center of conversation. "Right. Um, I actually have to go. I forgot, I have to do something."

I chewed on my lip, trying to think of something quick to say to keep him here. "So soon?"

He hesitated. "Yeah, sorry. I should probably get going."

"I had a question for you, actually."

He raised an eyebrow. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeaaah," I said, dragging out the word to stall and hopefully think of a decent question so it didn't sound like I was totally lying.

He laughed then, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "You don't really have a question for me, do you?"

I feigned a scoff. "I did. I forgot it."

"I have one for you," he said, an intensity to his voice.

"And what's that?"

"Why aren't you afraid of me?"

I blinked. "Why would I be?"

He smiled devilishly with only one half of his mouth. "I know you've heard about me. You knew who I was on the street. You must know the things they say about me."

I shifted my feet. "You're the son of a rich guy. That's all I really know of you."

"You're a bad liar, Shea. You know I'm the 'psychotic son' the family has tried so hard to cover up. Don't act so innocent. I'm certainly not."

I shook my head. "You're Alex to me. You saved me on the street. You've done nothing to prove those stories true, so to me you'll stay Alex until you do show your dark side. You don't seem like such a bad guy to me."

There was a mix of expressions on his face I couldn't quite read, but I definitely saw the comedy in it as if he were sharing an inside joke with himself. "I'm definitely a bad guy."

He turned on his heels at that, giving me a wave of goodbye, but I stopped him before he could get far.

"Who's to say I'm not a bad guy?"

He turned back to me with another sinister grin. "Fair point. I guess you never know what kind of secrets haunt a person."

I looked down at my hand at the mention of haunt. I hadn't put my ring on today after the last conversation I had with Materio. I wasn't in the mood to be 'haunted' by guilt. However, I did stick the ring in my pocket, just in case I needed it. I had an itch I would soon.

When I looked up again, Alex was gone. In his place was a little old Asian lady, checking out the selection of frozen yogurt.

I paid and ran home in the rain, then quickly threw on my skeleton makeup. I summoned Gerard, who happily took me to where I needed to go. On the ride, I uncrumpled a piece of paper with a few words I had scrawled out on it after my conversation with Sawyer.

Gerard pulled over, and I walked with confidence into Iron Crisis' choice bar. There was no doubt in my mind he still went here to try to take the edge off, even though Supers couldn't get drunk. He would get my note, eventually.

Every eye turned on me, and silence spread across the room like a plague. I stepped up to the bar, leaned over it, and said to the bartender, "Make sure Iron Crisis gets this. Open it, and you're dead. Literally."

The man nodded, accepting the note. He stuck it in his apron. "He'll get it. He's here just about every other day."

I gave him a nod of appreciation, turned on my heel, and left as quick as I'd come. This was it, my final appearance as the Hauntress.

I stepped outside once more, into the pouring rain. I wanted to stay there and just let the rain wash away the makeup, but I knew I couldn't do that.

If the world found out who I really was, I'd find myself in the same boat as the Mobster. I'd like to enjoy my retirement for as long as possible.

_________

A/N
Ok guys, back on the wagon? Maybe? Don't believe me? I don't either, but I swear I'll try my best! Gonna try to keep up and finish the story this summer! Next up, Megan's chap, and it's gonna be a good one!
- Stevie