Looking around, I noticed a crowd had formed around the barriers and I blushed at the display of affection.

‘Since when did all these people get here?’ It dawned on me how quiet it had been before.

‘Since about 10 minutes ago’ Zayn explained.

I shook my head. ‘No, they literally just appeared’

‘Or were you so immersed in me you didn’t notice they came’ He said, sounding a tad smug.

Instead of blowing up his ego anymore, I just shrugged, but I secretly wondered if there was truth in what he just said.

‘Babe, I want to introduce you to Louis and Eleanor’

‘Cool’ I said and he stood up and put an arm around my shoulders in a possessive gesture.

He led me over towards Eleanor and Louis and I couldn’t help feeling a little bit shy. Eleanor was gorgeous and it did make me feel a little self-conscious. Nevertheless, I was excited to me them both and I thought they were adorable together.

                                                                        *

As they approached, Zayn tugged Ariella closer towards him, feeling proud to have such a beautiful girlfriend. She had such a big heart and was a gorgeous inside and out. He just hated that she didn’t see it. Louis turned to smile at them and alerted Eleanor to their presence.

‘Hey guys, this is my beautiful girlfriend Ariella. Ariella? Sweetheart, this is Eleanor. You and Louis met that night at the gala’

‘Hi, it’s nice to see you again’ she gave a dazzling smile to Louis, and unconsciously Zayn tightened his grip on her.

‘And it’s nice to finally meet you Eleanor’ she said and directed her attention to Eleanor. They shook hands and seemed to be getting on well.

As they spoke, Zayn and Louis separated and let the girls chat between themselves.

‘Wow, she’s really something’ Louis commented, acknowledging Ariella. A warm tingle rushed through Zayn and he chuckled. ‘Yeah, she is’ He returned.

‘Sorry if this is too personal. I was just-uh nah never mind’

‘No tell me’ Zayn pressed, hating being denied information.

‘Do you love Ariella?’ Louis asked looking hesitant.

Realising what had him apprehensive, Zayn could only laugh. ‘Of course I do.’ He said, not in the slightest embarrassed by the confession.

‘What about you guys?’ he asked Louis, referring to his own relationship. Louis was more hesitant however, blushing a deep red. ‘Yeah’ he said, looking at the ground.

‘It’s a… nice feeling’ he whispered and they stood silent for a moment, gathering their thoughts. It was a rare and beautiful moment between friends where silence can speak volumes.

They seemed to understand exactly how each other felt.

The music in the background changed and the girls came up towards them, pulling them to the dance floor where they split up.

Gathering Ariella in his arms and holding her close they swayed from either side. The crowded dance floor was bustling with couples dancing outrageously. But neither Ariella nor Zayn paid any attention, lost in a world by themselves. Chaotic dancing and shouts came from all sides but it dimmed in comparison to that one moment. Awareness tingled between them as Zayn took control, grabbing Ariella’s hips and spinning her so her bottom pressed against his groin. They danced brushing against each other subtly. Growing more bolder, Ariella leant back and raised her arms to loop behind Zayn’s neck. He leant forward, brushing curls aside and kissed the nape of her neck, dizzy with sensation.

‘You’re so beautiful’ he whispered against her skin. ‘And you’re mine’ he said, pulling her tighter into him. She smiled and as the music slowed he spun her once again and looked deep into her eyes.

As they swayed, Zayn looked deeply into the blue depths of Ariella’s eyes.

‘Do you believe in soulmates?’ he asked, and registered the shock on her face.

‘I never really thought about it, to be honest.’ She was silent for a moment, before she replied.

‘For such a long time, I gave up on love. But after meeting you, my idea of love was completely different to what it really is’ she explained.

‘I know what you mean.’

‘But to answer your question. I do Zayn. And I might even go as far as to say I know whose mine.’

‘Me too’ he said and they pressed their noses against each other. A silent agreement shot between them as they danced intimately.