Chapter 3 - Ghost Stories

“Yah, Aniya!”

 I look up at the sound of my name. My face brightens with a smile. “Luhan! Sehun!”

“You live down this way?” Luhan asks. He bounces up to me and throws his arms around me in a hug. “Wow, we can walk to and from school together!”

“You live closer to school than I do,” I comment.

“How did you sleep?” Luhan asks.

I shrug. “Okay. I’m starving—is there a food place near school?” My stomach grumbles, agreeing with me.

“Do you have a dog?” Sehun asks suddenly. I stare at him. How could he know that? His eyes meet mine, and he reaches for my shoulder. “You have short hairs all over your uniform jacket.”

“Oh,” I laugh. “Monggu is my beagle. He must be shedding again.”

“A dog! How cute!” Luhan says cheerfully.

“Maybe you could come over and see him sometime,” I offer. I blush slightly.

“Maybe,” Sehun says softly. He looks away.

“I hope you’re ready,” Luhan cackles in my ear. “I hear the second day of school is even worse than the first.”

I groan. “I wish you two were in my class.”

“Technically, we are,” Sehun says. “Just different buildings.”

“I’d like to see you two dress up as girls and sneak into my class,” I joke. “Luhan could probably pull it off.”

“Hey!” Luhan whines. “I’m very manly.”

“What about you, Ae-ni?” Sehun chuckles. “Why don’t you dress as a boy and sneak into our class?”

“That would be easier,” I think aloud. “I could pull it off…”

“No way,” Luhan said. “You’d get in trouble. You only just met us. You would get suspended on your second day.”

“Has anyone ever tried that before?” I ask.

“Yes,” Sehun said in an eerie voice. “Those students are now the ghosts of the school…”

I stop in place, causing him to bump into me since he was walking behind us. “What?”

Luhan and Sehun share a look. “You haven’t heard the story?” Luhan asks. “Well, I suppose not…it’s only your second day.”

“What story?”

“A boy from our building,” Sehun begins, “and a girl from your building were together. A couple.”

“Both of them had PE at the same time,” Luhan says in a sad voice. “They would sneak out to the courtyards during PE and meet each other. Their PE teacher, a crazy man with a horrible temper, was suspicious of their excuses. He followed the girl one day.”

“When he saw the two together, he was very, very angry,” Sehun says, shaking his head ominously. “He snapped. Rumors say that he advanced towards the girl to punish her, but the boy stepped forward. The teacher and the student started fighting, and eventually the teacher killed him. The girl screamed. The songsaeng-nim, not wanting to get caught, killed her, too.”

“Now their tortured spirits haunt the courtyards and the schools,” Luhan finishes. “They want to meet each other again, but they can’t. They’re afraid the teacher will catch them again.” There was a moment of brief silence

Luhan laughs out loud, making me jump out of my skin. “Haha! Look, she’s shaking!”

“Yah!” I snap, looking down at my trembling hands. “It’s not funny!”