Drawing The Line

I got to Adam's floor and knocked on his apartment door. He answered. I wasn't sure what to do so I walked in and waited until he shut and locked the door before I hugged him. He must've been shocked because he didn't hug back for a few seconds.

"I'm sorry," I said, tears finally spilling out of my eyes.

"Hey, don't be sorry," he said, rubbing my back. "I'm more than happy to give you a place to stay."

He hugged me as long as I held on to him before I let go and wiped my eyes.

"Want to talk about it?" he asked. I shook my head. Talking about Reilly was the last thing I wanted. I wished he would've taken it better. I wished he would've at least listened to my explanation.

I did what I did for him. He was going to go play pro hockey, his lifelong dream. I knew a baby would hold him back. Reilly was the responsible one. He would've left Texas and dropped hockey to care of Sawyer. And I didn't want that.

"Everything will work out," Adam said. "Your room is down the hall on the left."

"Thank you so much," I said. I went into the guest room and curled up under the bed spread. Thoughts raced back and forth.

I wondered what Reilly was doing. I imagined him pacing the room he was in, wondering what to do.

I wished we had never slept together, but I quickly took it back. If we hadn't slept together, Saywer wouldn't be here, and I love that kid with all my heart.

I finally managed to cry myself to sleep.

------------

The next morning I got up and went to Reilly's apartment. I knocked and he answered, still in his PJs.

"We need to talk," I said. He narrowed his eyes at me.

"What's there to talk about, Katie?" he asked. He came out into the hallway and shut the door behind him.

"You need to listen to me!! I had my reasons!"

"Selfish reasons," he said coldly.

"I hate you for this," I whispered, loud enough so he could hear.

"I hate you for keeping my own kid from me!" he said, his voice raising.

"I hate you for sleeping with me and then leaving like nothing happened," I said. As those words left my mouth, my walls tumbled down and I cried. I began to storm away.

"Katie wait!" Reilly called.

"Fuck you," I said before I ran away.

----------------

*Reillys POV*

I fucked up. Royaly. I didn't want to go inside, because inside, my son was sitting on the couch, eating Dougie's waffles, and watching cartoons.

He looked a lot like Katie.

God, Katie's so beautiful. Both inside and out. And I fucked up. The line had been drawn and I had crossed it.

I smacked myself on the head. I regretted what I'd said. I just wanted her to come running back, giggling, saying she was kidding and that she wasn't pissed.

But that wasn't going to happen. I held my head in my hands.

What was I supposed to do?