Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

“Dammit, this is going to keep me here all night,” I muttered and reluctantly walked over to Eddie and peered over his shoulder.

While I worked trying to figure out the glitch though it seemed like something he could have done, I could feel him watching me.

“Why didn’t you fix this yourself?” I asked hoping he would stop giving me those puppy dog eyes.

“Oh I wasn’t sure which way you wanted the return and error page to go,” he said. Oh bah, I didn’t think of that.

It took me a few more minutes to set that correctly and he took the opportunity to try and make conversation.

“Are you in a rush for something?” he asks.

“Not really, but it is my last therapy appointment tonight,” I said in a tone that silently told him I didn’t want to talk.

“Oh wow it’s finally done.”

“Mm hmm,” I nodded.

“Jerry must be getting out soon then,” I glared at Eddie. “I only say so because you know if you need anything I’m still here for you,” he said his expression sincere.

“Thanks, but I’ll be fine,” I tried to sound pleasant. Inside, Eddie is just pushing my buttons with how he could still think I would want anything from him.

“Sonja I mean it, I’ll always be your friend even if you hate me,” he gripped my arm gently at the elbow.

I sighed. “Fine Eddie, but right now I want nothing to do with you so please just leave me alone,” I didn’t put anger in my voice it actually sounded more hurt and disappointed than anything.

“I understand,” he let go and smiled sadly at me. I nodded and went back to my work.

I noticed he watched me a little longer then turned away. He must feel really bad about what has happened. I’ve never seen him so dejected and not bothering to turn on his charm. Someday I might forgive him, but it was not this day.

It is easy to put Eddie out of my mind as I continued to work. I rarely wasted my time worrying about him anymore.

*

With a pen in my mouth, files in my hand and the other typing on my computer back in my office, my call to come in from the knock on my door probably sounded strange.

“Hey Sonja, do you realize the time?” Stacy asked.

“No been working,” I said again sarcastically while still holding the pen in my mouth.

“It’s almost seven.”

My head snapped up at her wide eyed. I blew the pen out of my mouth which clattered onto my desk.

“Shit.” I blurted out. I dropped everything I was holding.

I glanced at the clock on my computer which said fifteen minutes to seven. I usually scheduled my appointments for six, but for this one I chose seven pm because I knew I would be working late all this week. Thank god I didn’t have to worry about it anymore next week. It still took me twenty minutes to even drive to the counseling office.

“I’ll help you,” Stacy smiled coming over to my desk and started to gather my files together as I closed down my computer and grabbed my keys, purse and jacket at the same time.

“What are you doing?” I screeched as she shoved my files into the top desk drawer which is not where they belonged.

“Just go, you can sort them in the morning,” she smiled shoving me towards the door.