Chapter 2 ~ Academy for Young Ladies?

When I stepped into the carriage outside, waiting for me and Claire I was shocked. The carriage had beautiful leather seats. It certainly was a carriage fit for a noble to ride. Claire and I sat on the side with a padding, to keep from dirting the carriage. Lady Demeratha sat opposite of us. "You must be wondering why out of all the girls in the girls home, I only picked you two." Lady Demeratha said kindly. I looked at my best friend and nodded. "Yes...." I trailed off, pretending that I didn't know her name. "Lady Demeratha." Lady Demeratha filled in. "I know you have many questions. For now, I need to know your full name and your age please." I gulped. I was the only in the entire girls home who didn't know my full name. "Lady Demeratha, I am Claire Layla Demis. I am 13." Claire answered in incredibly respectable manner. I hesitated, knowing that both Claire and Lady Demeratha was expecting an answer. I looked away slightly ashamed. "M-My name is Sarah. I don't know my middle name, or my last name. And my birthday is coming up. I am currently 13." But, Lady Demeratha wasn't listening. "On your neck, the pendent. Who's initials are those?" I shrugged. "I don't know Ma'am." Nodding, she spoke. "May I see it?" I swallowed. I've had the pendent for as long as I can remember. I put a protective hand over the pendent. Lady Demeratha seemed to take the hint that I didn't want to take it off. "It's alright. If it is too valuable and you do not trust me with it, then I will not force you to take it off for me to see." I breathed out in relief. I looked out, at the Carthyan countryside smiling. It was a stunning sight. Slowly, my eyelids grew heavy. In a few minutes, I fell asleep inside the Carriage.

~~

I don't know how long I was asleep for, but when I woke up the carriage had stopped. I sat up straight and looked out through the window. Stunned, I thought I had forgotten how to breathe. It was a ginormous mansion, victorian styled. It practically looked like a smaller castle. Astonished, I sat like a log staring at the beautiful building. "Come on child! We have to go meet the HeadMistress!" HeadMistress? Was the thought that ran through my head. Then I turned to the back of the carriage and asked the coach men if I could look in the trunk. I was not expecting to see what I saw. Sure enough, somehow, my sword laid on the bottom of the trunk. The coach men looked at me awkwardly, then shook their heads in dismay. I shrugged and turned back. I walked up to the gate, hoping to enter with no problem. But as usual, my life hadn't turned out to be as easy as it seemed. "Hand over the sword young lady. You shouldn't even be carrying one." I just raised my eyebrows at him. "Seriously? Just because I am a girl does not mean I cannot own a sword." I retorted. Still, the guard didn't open the door. I grunted and handed my sword over to him. "Any damage in anyway, you just watch me pulverise you." I growled. He looked more amused, than frightened. That just angered me more. I shoved past him through the gate. Lady Demeratha stood by the entrance, with a questioning look. "What was that all about?" "Um, I had some trouble...with the guards." I half-heartedly lied. If she knew I was lying, she didn't give a hint. "Well, Ms. Demis, and Ms....Sarah, Welcome to the Academy for Young Ladies, or AYL." A ladies academy? What is this for? I thought, confused. "Here, you'll learn to become respected young ladies. When you enroll into the school, you are automatically become noblewomen for the time being. If you fail, you'll be thrown into the street to live on your own, without a title or anything. Some become servants. Now, come the HeadMistress will make an announcement for the new students." Lady Demeratha turned and lead us to the auditorium inside the massive mansion. Every corner has a unique style. "Wow." I muttered as I entered the huge auditorium. I took a seat in a velvety seat in the front row with Claire. "This is terrifyingly amazing." She hissed excitedly. I shrugged, hoping to guard my expression well. A brunette lady stepped onto the stage and smiled. "Hello new students!" She exclaimed. I slouched into my seat. "My name is Lady Johnston, the mother of Lady Demeratha." At that moment, I started to notice the wrinkles and the frail look on the woman's face. "I welcome you to our school, AYL the Academy for Young Ladies. Here you'll learn to be proper ladies and become successful wives of rich nobleman's sons." I huffed out a breath. I had no intention of being noble, or to be married to a snobby nobleman's son. What the woman said next, caught my attention. "You are all very special this year. We've recently found out that Prince Jaron Artolius Eckbert III the lost Prince of Carthya, has a younger twin sister, named Seraphina Andromeda Clarisse Eckbert." Collective gasps were heard throughout the auditorium. I sat up cautiously, listening closely. "Now, since Carthya currently has no ruler," She paused. "We will work on training you. When one of you become mature enough, look like Seraphina and can rule a country...then you will become Seraphina entirely. The Prince of Gelyn will also await for the Seraphina." I sat back swallowing nervously. "On this day, it is Prince Jaron's birthday. Tomorrow, it is Seraphina's birthday, she is turning 14." I gaped at the woman. As I've been told all my life, my birthday is tomorrow. And I was turning 14.

~~

Mini Cliffy! What do you think is going to go down? Leave your comments down below! I hope you like this story so far!

~Ashley Skylar Grace daughter of Jupiter