SEVEN

coffee and friendship

It was surprisingly easy to find Jack

It was surprisingly easy to find Jack. In fact, he saw the two women before they saw him. And he had quite the time trying to get their attention—he ended up shouting across the street.

Henley and Emerald joined him at a small cafe with an outdoor patio seating area. He'd ordered a coffee for himself, and Emerald wasted no time in getting herself the same drink. When it arrived, she pulled the white ceramic mug towards her and cupped her hands around it, humming a little. It was still cold out, and she had no gloves, because whoever was in charge of moving their stuff sucked. Though, it was partly her own fault for not bringing gloves with her to New York.

"Had enough of them?" Jack asked, directing the question mostly at Henley, as Emerald was busying herself with her coffee.

Henley nodded, rolling her eyes. "Yes, very. They're probably still fighting." She crossed her legs under the table, pulling on her black gloves to adjust them.

"What are they even fighting about?" Emerald asked, pulling herself away from her coffee. She shoved one hand in her jacket pocket to keep it warm; the mug wasn't doing a great job of that.

Henley and Jack shrugged simultaneously. "No idea," Jack said. "I was trying not to pay attention to them, you know?"

Emerald shook her head. "Nah, I thought it was entertaining. For a while, at least." She shrugged. She knew her sense of humor was a little...off. She blamed her dad for that one.

Jack thought for a moment, a smirk on his face. "All right, I guess you're right about that. They can be entertaining."

Emerald grinned. "The McKinney and Atlas comedy show: they'll be here all year!"

The other two laughed, Jack more than Henley, which Emerald thought was a little strange. But she grinned, glad she was at least coming across as funny. Making friends had always been hard for her, especially the last couple of years. So she was glad she could count Jack and Henley as friends. Meeting them was worth the trip, she thought, even if the Eye wasn't real.

364 words.

There, that was more along the lines of a sweet chapter! Apologies for the shortness! What do you think of Emerald's growing friendship with Jack and Henley?