THREE

five magicians

The group fell silent as the guy who'd just come up the stairs approached, looking between the four of them

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

The group fell silent as the guy who'd just come up the stairs approached, looking between the four of them. His gaze, however, landing on Atlas. "J. Daniel Atlas," he said, sounding every bit the adoring fan. "Dude, I've seen everything you have ever done. You're like... I- I idolize you. Seriously."

Emerald tried to contain the eye roll. She really did. But that wasn't working out for her.

The guy wasn't that much older than her, maybe by a couple of years. He wore plain, dark clothes, including a leather jacket. Not bad, if you asked Emerald.

Atlas grinned, clearly enjoying this hero-worship. "From a true fan. It's so nice to meet you," he said.

The guy nodded. "I'm Jack, by the way," he said, addressing the rest of the group as well. There were a couple nods, and Emerald waved at him.

"Question," Merritt said, drawing all attention to himself. "Did you get one of these?"

Jack smiled, and began to dig in the messenger bag at his side. "Yeah. Death." He held up the card.

Henley took that as a cue to hold up her own, though the whole group had seen it already. "The high priestess."

"I'm the lover," Atlas said smugly, and Emerald rolled her eyes once more as Henley hid a harsh remark in a fake cough.

"Well, I got the sun." Emerald said, pulling her card out of her back pocket.

Lastly, her dad showed the group his card, saying, "The hermit."

There was a moment of silence, then Jack said, So what are we... Are we waiting for someone?" He looked between Henley and Atlas, confused.

"The door's locked." The pair said in unison.

Jack smiled, a sort of lopsided grin that Emerald just knew would give her trouble, and moved forward. "Oh no, nothin- nothin's ever locked."

He knelt in front of the door, pulling a thin metal object—Emerald couldn't quite see what, she had ended up behind Henley when the four of them crowded up behind Jack—and stuck it in the lock. A few short moments later, and Jack was pushing the door open. He sat back on his heels, a self-satisfied look on his face.

Daniel stepped over him, a flashlight in hand. Emerald pulled out her phone, flicking on the flashlight app. "Hey, good job," she told Jack, smiling at him before stepping inside after her father.

"What is this place?" Henley asked, pushing open a door. She too held up her phone for light, grimacing at whatever it showed her.

She moved on, and Merritt looked in the small bathroom after she did, Emerald peering over his shoulder. "Wow. Thought our apartment was nasty," he said to Emerald, who shook her head.