So What Do We Do?

http://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/news/adult-psychiatric-morbidity-survey-paints-a-bleak-picture-of-the-mental-health-of-the-nation/#.V_KXPYhZ65l

Okay. I'll let you process what you've just read.

*clears throat*

Do continue processing.

*binge-scrolls through tumblr*

That should be fairly processed now. So, let's just all take a moment to realise how TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE this is.

"Nothing has improved when it comes to the prevalence of mental health problems in England."

This is very saddening indeed. Of course, the article does highlight some positives, such as the fact that more people are seeking help - but this is still not enough. In recent years, mental health campaigns and charities have raised their voices and demanded to be heard: advertisements have increased, more mental health related documentaries have been aired, prescriptions have increased -the UK now has the seventh highest prescribing rate for antidepressants in the Western world, with around four million people taking them each year - twice as many as a decade ago at a cost of more than £200 million a year for the 53 million prescriptions now written. And all for what? People are still not getting the help they deserve, whether it be because of a lack of diagnosis or unavailability of required treatment.

People need more support.

So, what can we do? It's upsetting and infuriating that I have to regurgitate advice that's already been put out there many times. But, nonetheless, here goes:

*TRIGGER WARNING, I get a bit intense, sorry*

» We need to stop romanticising mental health problems - anorexia is not someone trying to lose enough weight to fit into some jeans, depression is not 'oh no, I have so much work to do, I'm so depressed', self-harm is not just cutting, and in fact, it may not be visible at all. Being a neat freak does not mean you have OCD. Hypermania is not 'fun'.People with attachment disorders are not 'attention-seeking'. People with mental illnesses are not being cute, quirky or emo. These people are vulnerable and broken and need help. We should respect that, not undermine their problems.

» Symptoms or coping mechanisms of disorders should not be ridiculed - someone talking to themselves do not deserved to be laughed at or pointed out, trembling or twitching is not a 'spaz attack', rocking back and forth is not strange {and it's actually really relaxing, give it a go}, dissociating is not 'spacing out'. Coping mechanisms and positive self-talking help people so, so much and should not be made fun of.

» Mental Health needs to become a regular thing to talk about - people need more of a safe space to talk about such things {which we're hoping to provide here}. It's a hard topic to discuss {even for neurotypicals} - no-one wants to 'expose' themselves as vulnerable or needing help. And this is wrong. We need to get rid of the stereotype that says being mentally ill means you are weak or a failure. Whilst many neurodivergent people do have that mindset, it is not true. Chances are, you probably know someone who is mentally ill - so, go on: ask them how they're faring, ask them if they've had a hallucination/delusion flare-up, if they need support. Start the conversation.

Everyone deserves to be helped with their mental health problems, the same way everyone is helped with their physical health. If you break a leg, what happens? It hurts, you're in pain, you get it treated, which also hurts, but it gets better. And you might have to take a few weeks off work or whatever to fully recover. After recovery, you may find that you have some 'off' days, perhaps the leg is stiff or painful, and you may have to cancel other things as well - and that is perfectly acceptable and should also be for mental health. Unfortunately, the treatment, by nature, is a longer process, but the same principles apply. Mental health needs to be seen as the same as physical health. That's the only way we can move forward.

Thanks for reading, LTAC!

                  - thefineideayoucrave