Royals

Imagine if Padme and Satine met when they were kids...

In my defence, it was a lot for sixteen year old Satine to take in. My father was dead, I'd inherited a throne, there was already a plot against me, I'd just met the two Jedi who would be keeping me alive, I was told I had to return to the planet that hated me and my sister had joined the aforementioned plot. Any other teenager would have thrown a tantrum, punched someone and stormed out. Now compared to that, making a snide comment, flouncing out of a Jedi council meeting, then locking yourself in a cupboard, sinking to the floor and bursting into tears isn't half as bad, is it? The punching seemed do-able at the time, but I wouldn't have gone through with it. But I wasn't as alone as I thought. You'll find you never are in really exiting stories. It gets a bit dull if the leading character shuts themselves in a disused room in a Jedi temple and nothing suspenseful or scary comes out of it. " What's wrong?" A tiny pale hand pushed my hair out of my eyes. I jumped, hitting a light switch and illuminating the horror movie style scene. In this case, the pile of red drapes in the corner was human. A small girl of about ten was knelt beside me, ominously close, looking concerned and curious. She wore red and gold robes and intricate make up that she'd smudged slightly and curly chestnut hair braided over her shoulder. She looked like the classic ghost child doll that chops people up in their sleep. And I'd gone and locked myself in a room with her. Just add it to list of people who wouldn't mind my funeral right now. "I really wouldn't recommend murdering me. There's enough people for that job already." At this point, I had no conviction left. I resumed my defensive huddle. The possessed-doll girl sat beside me, leaning against the wall. Prime stabbing position. I huddled tighter. " I wouldn't hurt you!" She sounded alarmed. "Not unless you hurt me first." She amended. I gave a hollow laugh. "I won't so much as touch you, I promise." We both relaxed, now that our death threats had been resolved. "So, what's your name?" Let me state now, that it's harder making small talk with a creepy child who's first instinct is 'If they touch me, kill' than you get credit for. "I'm Padme." She held out her hand. "Satine." I shook it. "So." She drummed her heels on the floor. "Why are you hiding in a cupboard?" I recounted my list of woe. Father, throne, plot, Jedi, planet, sister. "What about you?"
"I got elected as queen of Naboo."
"Is that not good?"
"Well, yeah, but it means that I'm going to mess it up and make all the wrong decisions and people will hate me and I'll muck up my speeches and cause a war and kill everyone. Apart from that, it's nice. The dresses are pretty and the food's good."
"What does this have to do with a closet?"
" I got lost. I'm supposed to be in a senate meeting."
"That's the other side of Coruscant!"
"I know! I realised I messed up and cried. Then I heard voices and I didn't think it would be very good if some Jedi found the queen of Naboo lost and crying, so I ran in here and hid. It worked, I guess. You thought I was some curtains. Who was the person you were yelling at?" The question took me by surprise. Damn, she was good.
"Who do you mean?" I asked, tentatively.
"The one who followed you here. He sounded sad and you told him to go away and I couldn't hear the rest."
"Ah, yes. He was one of the Jedi protecting me. He's nice I guess. Annoying, though."
"Ooooooohhhhhhhh!" Padme giggled. I gave her a gentle shove. Kids.
"Duchess?" There was a knock on the door. "Duchess? Obi Wan says that you're in here. If you're quite finished, we must continue with the meeting." The door opened to reveal Master Qui Gon Jinn looking amused and Obi Wan looking mildly annoyed. I got to my feet. Padme looked worried. "Here," I called to a guard. "Make sure this girl gets to the senate safely. If she's reprimanded, tell them that I held her up." Padme beamed at me. "I'm glad to have met you, Padme."
"I was glad to meet you too!" The hem of her rode disappeared around the corner as she waved. I turned and walked down the corridor, head held higher.