One More Night by Gabriel Pope

Start from the beginning

The ping of the microwave disrupted my line of thoughts. I couldn't remember placing anything in it. Curious, I walked towards the kitchen. There were no doors separating it from the other part of the house, just an arched entrance. At first, I peeked into the kitchen, scanning it. The hairs on my arm were starting to stand erect. What's wrong with me? I walked into the kitchen to find the microwave open. Jordin must've been playing with it again.

It never really occurred to me how grave silent the neighborhood was until now. It all felt like we'd moved into the center of the wilderness, or maybe it was just me. The estate was new and most houses were yet to be occupied although they'd been sold. Maybe we should've waited a bit more till other tenants moved in, at least I wouldn't have to worry about the terrifying looks of unoccupied houses surrounding us, like a masked face with hollow eyes and nostrils.

A cold ran down my spine at the thought of the images the houses casted under the street lights. Slamming the switch to the kitchen off, I exited it for the room, trying not to fall into the temptation of peeking at the apartment just across the street. It just looked different and I wonder why it bothered me since it wasn't the only vacant house around. It hadn't been put up for sale but from the looks of it, it was clearly evident that no one had lived in it for years-if not decades.

The room was dark, dimly lit by the street light flooding in through the window. I pulled the blinds down before sneaking into bed next to Jordin whose back was facing me, leaving Sally in between us. While I laid on the bed, my mind mentally scanned the entire house to be sure I had all the doors locked. Halloween was just around the corner and I wouldn't want any early surprises-even though I wasn't expecting one considering the sparse population of the estate.

I must've begun to drift off when a sound brought me back. At first, I couldn't quite tell of I was only dreaming or I if I'd really heard the sound. My weary eyes and feeble body wouldn't let me remain cautious and within seconds, I found myself dozing off. Then came the sound again. This time, more obvious.

My eyes flicked open and my pulse went higher a notch. The noise which sounded like that of someone rummaging through things was coming from within the house. The sound of metal falling to the floor and cartons crashing was enough to get me out of bed and I started for the staircase. My heart trashed against my ribs and I tried to bring my terror-stricken mind to calmness. It could be a stray cat or something.

I stood at the edge of the stairs, scared out of my mind on seeing the light coming from the kitchen and living room. My palms turned sweaty and my breathing was unsteady. With careful steps not to make a sound, I moved down the stairs. My heart fluttered within my chest like a caged bird when a can of hotdog rolled out of the kitchen, bumping into a wall. Then there was another can.

Someone's still in there. I spun back in a flash to grab my phone from the bedroom only to see Sally seated at the edge of the stairs. A frightful scream escaped my throat, I missed a step and tumbled down the staircase, landing on my back. Pain pulsed through my body as I remained seated helplessly, my breath ran short while my eyes remained fixed on the unbelievable sight of the figurine staring down at me. Mommy, she's evil, the words rang in my head.

Before my very eyes, the doll picked itself from the floor. Its smile wasn't fake anymore, it was a malicious smile which grew, twisting on its lips as the panic in my face was plain. My breath hitched and my heart pounded madly in my chest. I crawled away from it; tears stung my eyes as it began descending the stairs. This can't be real, this can't be happening.