"Roses, sir."

Ethan's heart ached. He wanted to tear his gaze away from the center stage, where the soon to be bride and groom moved gracefully across the dance floor. He wanted to run, and far -

"I hear you're an author, m'boy." Mr. Wells interrupted his thoughts. 

Ethan forced a smile, muttering a "yes sir, I am". He glanced up into the clear blue eyes of the elder man as they clouded with judgement and displeasure. Typical.

"Writing's a pleasure, I'll say. But does it make you money, son?" 

Ethan set down his fork with a clink. His meek eyes had grown dangerously cold. Ethan opened his mouth, but closed it again when his mother cleared her throat from the head of the table. 

"Looks like Liz is wearing her new earrings." 

Mr. Wells was distracted almost immediately, beaming once more. Ethan clenched his jaw, eyes shifting to the ears of the woman holding his brother. They glistened in jewels, expensive jewels. 

"They're wonderful, really." Mrs. Wells cried, followed by a formal "You should've have", from Mr. Wells. 

Ethan watched his mom smile brightly, shaking her head. "Our pleasure, really. A beautiful girl needs beautiful diamonds to match." 

Ethan resisted the urge to roll his eyes as he took a sip of his champagne. 

"Let's dance." Cameron abruptly motioned to her younger brother, who merely shook his head with disinterest. It wasn't until Cameron was up on her feet, physically pulling Ethan along that he stood and followed her to dance floor. 

"Don't make it so obvious." Cameron commented as they danced awkwardly beside the couples. Ethan glanced to where Grayson and Eliza danced, feet away, completely unaware of their surroundings. 

"Huh?" 

"Don't make your disliking of the Wells so obvious." 

Ethan made a face. "They're materialistic ignorants -" 

"- and our in-laws." Cameron scolded. 

The man once again glanced at the bridal couple. They looked glorious, in their pastels and polished shoes. They danced with perfect rhythm and in perfect sync. 

"They look perfect." 

The hand upon Ethan's shoulder gave it a reassuring squeeze. "Alls not as meets the eye, brother." 

Ethan felt drained as he entered his cabin after a day of false smiles and sugar coated responses to intrusive questioning. He ran a rough hand through his hair, tousling it. His slender fingers came down to undo his suit coat, letting it fall to the floor without a care. He ghosted a hand over the buttons of his plain white dress shirt when he heard a knock upon his cabin door. 

Ethan felt his heart skid a beat. It couldn't be - 

"Come in." 

Disappointment laced his distinct features as he shook his head. A staff worker of the wedding hall peeked into his cabin. 

"Ethan Dolan?" 

Ethan nodded, sighing. 

"I was ordered to bring something to you." The worker explained, opening the door wider. Ethan watched him with furrowed brows. 

"And what would that be?" He wondered aloud. 

The worker smiled, revealing a bouquet from behind his back. "Roses, sir." 

Ethan reluctantly accepted the arrangement of purple. Wisterias. 

"Goodnight, sir." 

As the cabin door slid shut, Ethan couldn't help but be mesmerized by the flowers in his hand. An explosion of purple - magentas and lavender and indigo - awakened his dull eyes. He couldn't avoid the grin spreading from his eyes to his mouth. He brought his fingers slowly to the note tucked neatly into the bunch, pulling it out. 

 "Meet me by the creek. Midnight. Wear a jacket, it's chilly.     - Gray" 

Ethan walked anxiously slow. His teeth chattered as the cold air met with his bare skin. The moon hung dangerously low, and as he reached the glistening creek, he awed at the sight of it reflecting upon the water. Dazed by the beauty of it all, he didn't notice a hooded figure under the trees a mere foot away from where he stood. 

"You didn't bring a jacket. Typical." 

Ethan gasped. He turned to lock eyes with the hazel orbs that sent hurricanes going within him in mere seconds. 

"Gray." 

"I didn't know if you'd come." 

Ethan blushed, turning to stare at the waterbed. "I was hesitant." 

"But you came." Grayson retorted, his voice mirroring the smile lacing his pink lips. His long fingers unzipped the windbreaker resting on his torso, pulling it off. Ethan caught the windbreaker thrown to him the next moment on reflex. 

"You're shivering." 

"I'm fine." 

Grayson chuckled lowly. "Just like you were fine at the lunch hall today, right?" 

Ethan's fingers tightened around the windbreaker. He clenched his jaw. "Yes." He lied easily.

"So you weren't staring shamelessly as I danced with someone who wasn't you?" 

Ethan remained quiet. 

"You didn't hurt when I placed my hands on her waist and spun her around? You didn't feel a damn thing, is that right Ethan?" 

"I felt happy for you."

Grayson's smile had long vanished. His features had grown stern with frustration.  "When do the lies end?" 

Ethan dared to look up into Grayson's eyes. His own were no longer abashed but ablaze. 

"Never." 

Grayson opened his mouth to respond but closed it again when Ethan stepped closer to him. 

"I'll never stop pushing and shoving everything I feel down into my soul until there's nothing but ashes left. I'll throw it into the depths of my being and light it up because I know for a fact that I'll never be the one you spin around a dance floor and you'll never be mine." Ethan cried, panting. He felt his eyes well up in angry tears. He shook his head hard, hoping to push them down. 

Grayson clenched his jaw, reaching out to grab his brother by the shoulders. Ethan froze as he was pulled flush against the taller. Grayson forcibly entwined their right hands, using his left to snake an arm around Ethan's waist as he pulled him even closer. 

"Gray - " 

" - You fool." Grayson spoke, his voice low. He moved a step forward. Ethan stepped back. Right, forward, back. 

Despite being a renounced author, at that moment in time, Ethan forgot how to formulate sentences. He allowed himself to be pulled along, forward, left, back. His arms fit perfectly in Grayson's, their feet moving with an effortless sync. 

"What are we doing, Gray?" 

Grayson smiled, tightening the grip he had on Ethan's waist. "We are dancing." He replied, matter of factly. 

"There's no music. We're - We're in the middle of a creek at midnight this is -" 

"- Perfect. It's perfect because despite all that, this is the best dance I've had all day, my love." 

Sorry for the super duper late update! || Comments are loved <3 

                                                                 follow my IG fanpage!:                                https://www.instagram.com/dolaninternational/