Chapter 1 // The Accident

Two years prior

The snow sparkled beyond the glow of the headlights as the car revved down the highway. Her hand was enclosed within mine, as my eyes gazed at the road ahead. I took a quick glance at her direction and she was sat there in the passenger seat, humming along to the music that poured in from the speakers. We were driving home from her parents house, we had just given them a brief visit before we headed across the ocean to my home town of Wolverhampton, England, for Christmas with my parents. Besides her humming and the music from the radio, it was a rather quiet ride. I felt content in this state, being able to sit in the midst of silence with the girl I loved. It was incredible. Though my eyes were now back on the road, i could see her gaze turn to me.

"They really like you" she said, in somewhat a whisper.

I had no clue what to say to that, but I gave her hand a quick squeeze and kept my eyes on the road.

“I think I heard them say they like you more than Brett” she said, hoping to hear a vocal response this time.

My eyes widened at her words.

“Are you serious? They like me more than Elizabeth’s husband?”

I glanced at her, she nodded, and then my eyes were back on the road once more.

“They did. And I agree with them. Cause ya know, I had a thing for Brett for awhile, but I choose you now” there was a hint of humor in her words, but I still ended up giving her a subtle glare.

“You better choose me now and forever” I simply said and she nodded. “I do.”

A moment of silence passed before I turned my gaze to her once again.

“I love you” I whispered. “I love you too” she softly said. I lifted her hand to my lips and pressed a gentle kiss upon the back of her hand. With a smirk lingering on her lips, her eyes turned to the road ahead.

“LIAM LOOK OUT!” She suddenly screamed, eyes going wide, like a doe in headlights.

My eyes instantly fled to the road, and though I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, my reflexes already twisted the wheel within my grasp and my foot slammed on the brake. The tires skidded below us on the black ice, sending us into the next lane.

The next few seconds were a blur. There was the crushing of metal, and glass cracking. Screams flooded the air. Screams from Aspen.

It was mere moments before everything stopped. The car rocked back and forth on its hood, as I was suspended by my seat belt. The screams had stopped, it was nothing but quiet and snow trickling down amongst the wreckage as lights from passing vehicles peaked within.

“Aspen, are you alright?” I whispered as I turned towards her. Her face was towards me, eyes wide open, lips parted and a deep red line dripping from the corner. Her hair was soaked and blood dripped from it, it looked like her neck was twisted in an odd way, or it could just be my blurred vision.

“Aspen?” I whispered, but got no response. Her body looked cold, almost like a corpse.

Shock was raging through my body and I couldn’t take my eyes off of the love of my life. Not even when the red and blue lights appeared in the distance, or when they used the jaws of life to get us out of the damaged -beyond belief- car.

The moment I was pulled out from the wreck I stood there waiting for Aspen. Waiting for her to climb out herself and run towards me, to cover my face in kisses and hug me tight. But she didn’t move, as she dangled there, helplessly. They pulled her body from vehicle and placed her on the stretcher.

The moment they started zipping the body bag though, it hit me like a freight train. Aspen wasn’t coming back. Her body was now just an empty shell, no soul to live out its life.

Aspen was gone. Aspen was dead.

I went on a rampage then. Chasing after the stretcher, screaming my head off for her not to leave me. People had to hold me back, like I was some psychopath or something.

I was soon sat on the pavement, calmed down enough to be by myself. After the shock and the rampage, I finally started crying, right as her body was being taken away in the ambulance.

I felt numb, no one would ever understand.

Aspen was gone, and so was my life.

___

Well there ya have it! The first chapter of WESTSIDE! I honestly hope you guys like it! I just got really excited with this so I thought I'd type the first chapter! (:

PLEASE PLEASE let me know what you think! Also check out my "12 days of One Shots" contest! Maybe you'll be one of the winners! (;

-Alysha xx