Chapter One

***

We saw the demons coming out of the sinkholes.

They were eager to dominate the city.

I saw several soldiers blast their guns at them.

But, to their shock, the demons shrugged off the bullets.

And they started to take over the city that never sleeps...as I knew one thing was certain.

That if we were alive, then we must battle them until they were back in hell itself.

***

Damon shivered.

"I don't know what to do", he said.

"We have to fight them", Geraldine stated.

"How", Francine added.

"With force", I said.

"Yeah, right, how", Damon said. He was nervous. We all were. Eventually we saw the soldiers fire at them, they were eager to take the enemy out.

"LET'S GET OUT OF HERE!!!", I yelled.

And we all ran.

***

One of the soldiers stared at us.

"GET OUTTA HERE!", he yelled.

We fled to the barracks. Barrels caught on fire-then exploded. Someone screamed. I saw a woman soldier limp; I took her out of the war zone towards the Medical Center. "Here, I'll clean the leg wound, and bandage it up", I said.

"Thanks! I'm Cadet Forster".

"Elle. I'm with my friends Damon, Geraldine, and Francine. When the demons attacked New York, the sinkholes opened up...and I didn't see my parents. I hope they're safe", I told her. Cadet Forster nodded.

I cleaned the wound as best as I could.

"Ouch!", she yelled.

"It'll be okay. Trust me!", I said.

"Fine", Cadet Forster sighed.

And I saw a hole in her trousers. I ripped them. Then I applied ointment on the deep gash. I then wrapped it with the bandage, and made sure that it wasn't infected.

"There, all done", I said.

"Thank you, Elle", Cadet Forster smiled.

"Don't be a hero, just make sure that you're doing light duties". I waited for her to place her right foot downward.

After some initial discomfort, she walked unsteadily.

"Take my bunk for now, Cadet Forster".

"It's Kara".

"Okay, Kara. Maybe you'll be better if you sleep it off".

"Thank you", Kara stated.

And smiled.

***

"I hate them", Damon said, irritated.

"We all do", Geraldine added.

"What now?", Francine asked.

"We have breakfast, then make a plan to getting rid of the demons", I said. I waited patiently before I saw Kara moaning in pain.

"Who's her?", Damon asked.

"Kara. She's older than you. I think she's nineteen", I answered.

"And now you're looking forward to seeing her...and not us", Geraldine pouted.

"She's a cadet; she's alive...just. Once her right leg is fixed up, we'll be fine. Just don't think this is bloody easy; it isn't easy", I told them.

"Fine, but we're here because of the demons", Geraldine said.

"Yeah, I know that", I was getting pissed off at them. They were my friends. But sometimes they were annoying.

"Take care of her", Damon said.

And I kissed him gently, and walked towards my bed where Kara was asleep.

***

One of the soldiers stopped driving the green jeep.

"Halt!", General Harold Greenland, II, said.

He walked towards the oil refinery.

"Do you think that the demons are going to cause further issues for the Government, General?", United States Army Sargent Mark Sheffield, Jr., said.

"Yes", General Greenland, II, said.

He stared at the other soldiers who was on patrol.

And, as they saw yet more demons coming out of the sinkholes, the terror of the city created more problems that couldn't, and wouldn't, go away.

***

I was growing up as a girl who was powerless.

My parents weren't rich.

They decided to give me a chance in life, as if they knew I was meant to have a bigger scope to do anything in life, and that included saving lives.

Maybe I wanted to be a nurse.

Maybe I would write novels.

Or whatever I was supposed to do.

Suddenly I was in a war with my friends.

And, for me, I missed my Uncle Ronald, Aunt Maggie, and Ray, Harriet, and Kendall, (my cousins); I missed all of them because New York was under attack.

And I was now part of the military children of the war.

I preyed to Kara, as I knew what was going on.

I checked on her.

And, then, I checked on the sick and injured people until everyone was back to normal.

***

Kara awoke.

She had breakfast.

"Are you alright?", I asked her.

"Yes, thank you", Kara said.

"If you're...".

"I'm fine. Besides, I'm not with a man in my life. And there's no children on the horizon. I just want to go up the ladder with my brains", Kara said.

"You'll be a cadet until you get your stars", I said.

And she smiled.

And hugged me.

***

We saw the demons.

This was something that concerned us.

And, in the end, we knew one thing.

That the war wasn't over.

***

Kara awoke.

She gazed at the sinkholes.

"Oh my God!", she said.

***

I saw one of the demons.

One of them had three horns on its skull.

Its claws were black; its red colored eyes seared the brightness of the sun. It walked away from the warm sun; its clawed feet raked across the dust.

And, as its black tongue hissed at us, I grabbed a rifle and fired three times at it.

And, after blood begun to drip, yet more demons burst through the sinkholes.

***

Page 2.