Prologue

Lauren

'Run faster. Come on Lauren.'
I say to myself has I run past the trees. It was silent with the sounds of the crunching leaves and branches I was stomping on as I run.
My head whips behind me, making sure nothing was following me. I grip the straps of my backpack to bring it higher. I bring my forearm up and look at the watch resting on my wrist.
11:47pm
"Crap," I mutter under my breath as I pick up my pace. The wind from my speed was making the bushes around me rustling.
I look up at the sky.
No light, no shine, no stars.
Only the moon and sun, together, bring us light. Our only light.
The light that stands out in all of this darkness.
Paying too much attention to the sky, tripped on a branch and started to roll down the hill, passing many trees. My body collided with a tree that stopped me.
I groan, shaking my head and hitting the ground with my hands before getting back up. I look back at my watch,
11:58pm
Shit. I quickly get up and run as fast as I can out of the forest and into the open plains where I can see parts of the ground starting to sink and rise with creatures who can very well tear me apart.
I look forward to the camp base, where the gates were closing. I sprint faster.
I roll into the base and lay on the ground flat in my back. Sweat beating down my face as I hear the gates close.

"Took you long enough Laur," my older brother, Alex, says as he hovers over me.

The sounds come from outside. The screeching noise of the creatures outside. Some gunshots, some screams.
I bring my forearm up,
12:00am
Moon time, death time.

Eclipse