V

Throughout the next week, Adrien had this wistful feel about him, where he would look into the distance, hand on his Mark, and smile dreamily. No one knew what he was thinking of, but Marinette.

His soulmate was a Marie. A Marie he thought was the one and only Ladybug. And she had given him the hope that it was true.

He was going to be crushed if he ever found out it was her. This was one of the primary reasons she agreed to go to Rome with Annette for the internship.

Marinette put her face in her hands and sighed. Another summer was upon them, another year gone, and a few months where she wouldn't see Adrien or even Alya, who was going to visit family in Martinique.

She heard them all discussing their summer plans, involving vacationing with family, friends and taking their soulmates to meet the family or, in Max's and Nathanaël's cases, going to other countries to specifically meet up with Karina and 'Darling Mina' respectively.

The first complaint she heard that day was, unsurprisingly, Chloé bitching at Sabrina. Chloé has been especially unbearable ever since Sabrina found her Ariel, she once spent an entire day trying to force doubtful feelings into Sabrina's head, pulling out hypothetical faults about why it wouldn't work out and how Ari was monopolizing all of Sabrina's time, energy and devotion, probably a manipulative move to cut Sabrina off from all of her friends. When she pointed out that Chloé was her only friend, Chloé's answer was "Exactly. Are you going to make him more important than me?"

Today, Chloé asked that exact same question and received a different answer.

"Yes," said Sabrina. "He's my soulmate, and you're not my only friend anymore, he's introduced me to so many others, I'm going to spend the whole summer getting know them. We even made a schedule."

Chloé became so pissed off her furious flush managed to show through her three layers of makeup. "They'll get sick of you, and when they do you'll come crawling back to me because no one will ever put up with you like I do."

"Put up with me? I'm the one who puts up with you!" Sabrina retorted, finally showing a bit of spine that surprised everyone. "Admit it, you're just bitter that you're unmatched, and at this rate, if your father didn't find him for you, you never will."

The same taunt Chloé herself used on Danielle all those months ago to turn her into Heartbreaker spun back at her like a boomerang. She flipped over their desk and stalked out just before the bell rang, setting them free for summer.

On their way out, Alya patted Sabrina on the shoulder, declaring that she was proud of her.

"So, what's this Ari like?"

Sabrina eagerly showed them a picture of a dark-haired pale boy with a hooked nose and a lopsided smile. "He goes to Sainte-Geneviève, his favorite food is sushi, and he's half-Lebanese and a Pisces, like me!"

"I'm very happy for you, Sabrina."

"Yeah, happy," Marinette chimed in, watching Ivan and Mylène stroll out hand-in-hand with the ugliest brand of envy. "So happy."

Aya sensed her sour mood and took Marinette's hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. They walked out hand-in-hand like Ivan and Mylène, but while Marinette did love Alya, it wasn't that kind of love, that was something Alya already had and the kind Marinette didn't want from Alya.

"I'm going to miss you," said Marinette.

"Skype is a thing, do remember to keep it open on your phone," Alya told her, lightly tapping the tip of her nose. "Don't be so glum, Mari."