Chapter Ten - Hide And Seek, Y'all

Start from the beginning

I dreamt that I lay in dark blue water, wisps of coral-green ribbon floating in front of me like darting water snakes.

I wore a dress made of pure ivory, my skin pale as milk and my dark hair raven as it fell around me in wet wisps. I couldn’t breathe, but strangely, my body didn’t need air. I was content to float around the water for as long as I could, like a mermaid.

At the surface of the water, yellow sunlight rippled, and a genuine smile made my lips quirk upwards. It was so peaceful and quiet down here, completely silent and peaceful. Down here, it was easy to forget my worries, ignore everything. There was no pain, only a sense of carefree and easiness. I could spend the rest of eternity down here.

The water was warm, and everything felt soft as melted butter, the sun somehow warmly caressing my skin despite the fact that I was at least ten feet underwater, turning my skin a pale gold color.

Like a switch being flipped, my throat began to close up and my lungs burned, begging for air. My chest throbbed, feeling like it was on fire, and the pain hurt so much that I gasped, inhaling copious amounts of salt water that made it burn even more.

I cried out, and a trail of circular bubbles left my mouth and trailed to the surface, and I choked even more on the salty water that tasted of waste and pollution, and something coppery.

The water became darker, closing in on me like a weight, pressing ever deeper into my chest, cutting like a knife, and I thrashed against the pain. It turned from a sweet aquamarine coral color to a dark navy color, devilish and evil.

The coral ribbon turned to a burnt scarlet color, and I realized that they weren’t ribbon, but were in fact trails of blood.

I threw my arms out, wildly trying to fight off the water and kick to the surface, when seaweed twined its’ way around my ankles, pulling me down further. The sunlight disappeared, until I could no longer see the surface, only pitch darkness all around.

I tried to scream and kick off the seaweed, but the harder I tried, the more they tightened. My lungs burned, and my throat ached from swallowing the seawater.

I looked down to find that it wasn’t in fact seaweed holding me down, but hands covered in blood, the ends melted off as if they had been burnt in a fire.

I cried out in horror, as I recognized my friends and family, their eyes wide and completely white, with no iris to break it up. Their lips were sewn together, and they were covered in blood and filth. They all wore white, but it was stained with blood, darkened with filthy seawater and cut into bloody strips.

I recognized the pretty face of my mother, my father, my best friends and even River, Jason and Jessica there.

“Help us,” some whispered with raspy voices, as if the salt had affected their voices.

“Nothing can save you!” River whispered, a malicious smile toying with his pink lips.