Chapter 5

"Mom, I don't know. It's official and all but hell. He lives in Canada three months of the year and the other nine he's traveling for most of it."

"I may be the only one in the family that works 12 months out of the year, but that doesn't mean you can't go to Canada with him."

"But Addie." She was of course my first priority and she has a father that's wrapped around her finger.

"I'm sure Jake will be reasonable when it comes to her going to Canada. He could always take her for a month and then you bring her to Canada until school starts." She paused, looking through a rack of dresses. "Or she can always stay with me and spend more time with her dad."

"I guess we'll have to find out." My mother handed me another dress that I would have to wear to her banquet tomorrow night. Not sure how my mother had time to do everything she does and still have time for shopping and brunch, but damn. She made it work.

"So is Robert coming?"

"Nope. Haven't asked him." I was handed two more dresses. Classy, but still revealing. "I seriously don't a new dress. I have more than enough."

"Donate the old ones, buy new ones. Don't make me call Tracy." I rolled my eyes, grabbing the floor length navy gown that was in front of me. Tracy was my mom's best friend. She just happened to be married to some important guy that worked for the Blues. That meant not only Robert would be there, but so would more players and their dates. "Go for more of a brighter blue."

"Mom, the only bright color I wear to something like this is red. Go ahead and call Tracy, seriously see if I care." I rolled my eyes once again and looked at the romper staring at me. "I could also just wear a pant suit and look like Hillary Clinton."

"Looking like her is fine, I'm not sure about having her morals though. Besides, you are not wearing work clothes to my benefit." My mother grabbed a tea length black dress that ties in the front. No doubt that she was going to pair it with her louboutins. I'm sure that's what she was looking for.

"Listen, if it gets us out faster you can pick out my dress but I'm wearing those heels with spikes."

"Then we should probably find you something short." Instead of grabbing a dress, she handed me a pair of white pants and a plain black, off the shoulder crop top.

"Mom these are almost see through." I was going to look horrible at a classy event.

"Then wear nude underneath them." Apparently she thought differently.

"Kidding about those heels. I want these."

"You are a college professor and a mother. You're the one that was worried about looking bad."

"I'm also 25 and dating a really hot athlete. Can't let him outshine me."I laughed, grabbing the shoes in my size. I was positive that I might wear these once and then collect dust in my closet but who knows anymore. Maybe I'll be hanging out with the girls behind the boards.

We grabbed a few accessories and left so that I wouldn't be late for class. I felt kind of bad that I didn't tell Robert about the benefit. We were at the beginning stages of this whole thing, so I didn't really want him to meet my parents just yet.

"Olivia, I got some signatures."

"Oh yes. I'm guessing you went big instead of just Robert?" I was handed a page with a few signatures. I'd figure out who they were from later.

"Because you're never not with him."

"Wrong. I went shopping with my mother this morning and didn't see Robert yesterday."