Chapter 3

Once Jake was back from his Europe trip, he asked to have Addie for the week, including two weekends. I know that I have asked for her more than my share most summers, as my parents always want to go on trips to Disney World so I was okay with spending a little time away from my daughter. That gave me more time alone. Or time with Robert, whichever I decided to do.

He brought me Thai food and coffee from my favorite restaurant the second day without Adelaide. It didn't take long before he admitted why he was really there.

"I just really wanted to ask you on a date but I wasn't going to do it over the phone."

"Okay, well, I have exams today so I'll have to grade them tomorrow. Would Wednesday work?"

"Yeah, we leave for a preseason game Thursday morning, so that's probably the best." We talked about the plan and were interrupted a few times with students dropping off papers and what not. He walked me to my class and gave me a kiss on the cheek before going back to his place for a nap.

"Is that your boyfriend?"

"Don't be an asshole, Tommy. No one likes an asshole."

"Jess, don't call Tommy an asshole. Any questions before the exam?"

"Isn't he a hockey player?"

"Yes. Any questions relevant to this exam?" My students started to laugh, all 15 of them.

"What's Hitler's wife's name."

"If you don't know that, we have bigger problems."

Finally, everyone quieted down and I was able to start grading the essays they had turned in at the beginning of class. I would be here for two more hours, giving one other class exams and the other we would be going over the study guide, exams would be next class time.

I packed up my things and stopped by my office one last time to grab the rest of the papers before buying a couple bottles of wine and going home. As soon as I walked in my door, I started a bubble bath and opened a bottle. All of the candles were lit and music was coming through my speakers.

"Hi Robert."

"What are you doing?"

"Taking a bubble bath with some wine. Something I very rarely get to do anymore."

"Sounds like fun. I'm sure it's nice to have some quiet time."

"Weird," I laughed, "But yeah it's nice. What are you doing?"

"I was going to grab something to eat, see if you wanted anything."

"Wow. Two meals in one day? I'm spoiled."

"I can cook you something so that you can stay in your bath."

"You don't have to."

"I want to."

"I'll eat whatever. Door is unlocked, just have to call me to let you in the main door. Thank you Robert." I was left to relax until he was here, then I washed off the bubbles and changed into some sweats. Whatever Robert was cooking smelled amazing.

"You smell good." He leaned over to kiss the top of my wet hair, dishing up what he had made. "In a love song kind of mood?"

"Yeah, I guess." I poured the two of us a glass of wine and sat next to him at the island. We ate in silence before moving to the couch to talk. It was so nice just being able to have a conversation with him. Though, we mainly talked about Addie. He didn't seem to care.

I cuddled into his side as we started a movie. It was his choice, I just hoped it wasn't anything too sappy. Luckily, he picked something more on the scary side of things. Of course I was exhausted and couldn't keep my eyes open for more than ten minutes. I only noticed when he picked me up and brought me to my bed.