Thirty-Four: My Fairytale

Start from the beginning

“Chloe, it's Lillian,” said the next message. “Honey, we're practically on lockdown in our house. I hope you guys are doing all right. The media's just gone crazy with this, and honey... they're also at Dr. Winters's house. They're doing a lot of digging into your past. I hope this doesn't get ugly, but I wanted to warn you. They think it's a modern day fairytale, Jason choosing a non-celebrity that no one really even knew about. Anyway, call us when you get in. We love you.”

The next message was her again. “They found your old court case. It's up on the internet now.”

The next message after that was Steve. “Hey, Chloe. Um... so your restraining order is up on the internet, and Chris's incarceration status is on TMZ. Just forewarning you. The media finally put everything together, like, from when he was on The Tonight Show and said he was dating someone and I guess something from an old magazine interview? They've turned you into a fairytale princess.”

The next message was my mother. “Honey? Can you call me? I had this odd dream this morning that I'm not sure was... hang on... Ohmigosh! You're on the news!!!” I had to hold the phone away from my ear for that one.

Jason gave me a questioning look.

“My life is all on the internet now,” I said.

He shook his head. “I am so, so sorry. This is beyond stupid.”

“It's okay. You're worth it. But I'm going into hiding for the rest of your shoot. I'm going to become a clingy fangirl and just hang out in your trailer all day.”

“Understood.” He grinned.

***

Jen called after Kyra caught her flight back. We were in my apartment and Jason was on the phone, ordering food.

“Chloe... what did you do to my stepdaughter?”

“Hmm?”

“It would appear that you rewired her brain.”

“Did I do something wrong?”

“Wrong? The girl took all of her pictures of Nate and burned them in our kitchen sink. Then she went over to his house and told him never, ever to call her again. Then she came home and apologized to me and to Kyle, and has taken some kind of oath of chastity?”

“Oh.”

“She shared more information about you and Jason than you would want, probably.”

“Well, whatever.”

“But she's adamant. All relationships are now to be on her terms, or not at all.”

“This is a good thing, right?”

“This is a mind blowing, incredible, wonderful thing. I mean, I don't know if it'll last. You know how it goes with kids. She may change her mind in a week if she meets some guy she likes, but anyway... thank you.”

“I didn't actually do anything other than live my life.”

“You amaze me. Jason is lucky.”

“Well, thanks.”

“We love you.”

It was weird to say this to anyone other than my mother or a boyfriend, but the words came easily enough. “Love you guys too.”

We hung up and Jason asked, “What was that all about?”

“Kyra's on her way back, as a single girl. No boyfriend.”

“Finally.”

***

“Mom?” I waited for the video to start up on Skype. It was the first video call I'd made on the new phone Jason had given me.