« 9 »

When Sam walked towards Gabriel's house, he was struck with the sudden realisation that it was definitely not what he was expecting it to be.
He had been hardly dreaming up ideals of the boy living in a mansion, but, he wasn't sure why, he just expected the almost derelict looking building to appear a bit more... homey. He himself couldn't remember living in a house, but all the ones he recalled were cutesy and warm and looked like they inhabited a family. Whereas this edifice felt clearly used but cold, unwelcoming, and made the back of his throat burn with the smell of knettles as they trekked up the dirty path to the front door. The only real appeal was the presence of an orangey, almost hellish glow emitting from the top left hand window, but even that set him a little on edge.

Don't judge a book by it's cover, that was what he had been taught. But that was difficult, wasn't it? Especially stood facing a door coated in blackened, peeling white paint and a half smashed window pane. Thoughts raced. Maybe he was being kidnapped. Was this even Gabriel's house at all, or was this where the short, bubbly boy was going to murder him?

The walk had been a short, uninspiring one, leading through a backstreet and down an alley before they reached this small cul-de-sac. None of the other houses looked quite as war torn as this one did, as Sam quickly noticed, not that he mentioned it. He was beginning to open up to conversation more despite this, but only by a pencil width, as after all he had only just met this guy and wasn't going to know him for very long either.

He comforted himself with the thought that Gabriel didn't appear to be a murderer. Gabe was just too innocent and sweet, unbruised as of yet by the hardship of life that Sam himself had already witnessed.

The ring of hefty keys that Gabriel was hastily trying to coax into the door jingled melodically, swinging at his wrist. It made Sam wonder why someone their age would need such a plethora of keys. Gabriel made a dissatisfied sound when one didn't work, before trying the next key on the hook, whooping when that one came through. "We're in." The door was then pushed open, not with a creak like Sam expected, but with a loud ruffle of newspapers- piles of which rose high before the frame, dating from around two years ago. Definitely serial killer behaviour...

But then Sam's eyes fell on the character of the inside, it's walls a deep red floral pattern, the carpet one that had seen better days but still looked soft to walk on barefoot. Paintings and family portraits swung loosely on the walls in cracked frames, in an affectionately mismatched way, the light barely working the hall but giving still giving it a dim glow.

"Welcome to the Viva la Novak." Gabriel smiled, stepping through the threshold and chucking his bundle of keys into a sonorous bowl that clattered upon impact. "Please, come on in, make yourself at home! Mi casa es su casa, and all that. Can I offer you a drink or anything?"

Sam was still stood outside when that question broke through his culmination of thoughts, and he smiled politely, stepping in. "Uh, sure, uh.... do you have coke?"

Gabriel's head cocked to one side, a smirk growing. "Honey, we have everything." He reached around the taller boy, closing the door behind him before shamelessly taking his hand and pulling him down the passage.

Sam's eyebrows reacted to this, lifting. Honey?

Okay, so, he was a little scared, allowing his head to duck through a concerningly tiny archway that brought the two teens into a large, cream kitchen decked with hanging baskets and houseplants as far as the eye could see. It was like an indoor herb garden, an apothecary, and the light that filtered now more cleanly and widely through the window to their left made the room beam green and white. He was definitely scared, but if Gabriel tried anything, the pen knife in his back pocket would come in handy. Sixteen years of training- Sam reminded himself that this would be no sweat.

Gabriel was humming when he finally released Sam's hand, and, skidding forwards across the floor tiles, swung open two ajoining cupboards proudly.

Both shelving units were stock piled with five different flavours of every fizzy drink, piece of candy or sweet product you could think of, all set in perfect rows like they would be in a sweet shop or bakery. It wouldn't even surprise Sam to know that they were categorised alphabetically. It was the most gluttonous, glorious thing he'd ever seen.

The Winchester glanced back and forth between the smug boy and the collection, before giving a soft, but hearty laugh. "Wow- you... you really do have everything..."

"Yeah, Chuck says I'm a sugar addict." Gabriel shrugged, squatting and pulling two cans of cola from their place on the left hand side. He then pondered, tapping his chin. "Have you eaten?"

Sam caught the can that was tossed at him, his dark hair bobbing as he shook his head.
"Not since breakfast, no..."

Gabriel gasped. "Since breakfast?"

Sam shook his head. No money meant no food.

"Crap- in that case- open your arms." Gabriel basically demanded, before shoving two packaged chocolate fudge cakes against Sam's chest, and continuing to pile sugary goods on him from there. "Tonight we feast like kings!"
Gabriel whooped, adding five snickers bars to the top of the mountain.

Sam maintained balance pretty well, considering how much food he was holding. It was probably the most food he'd ever seen at one time in his life. His eyes were wide, his mouth producing buckets of saliva, just aching to eat- especially the mega box of truffles. But most of all, he was feeling confused.

"Onwards, Samuel, to the man cave." Gabriel puffed his chest out, pointing to the door and walking straight legged out to a stairway littered with nick-nacks out in the passage in a fashion similar to a regimental soldier.

Sam couldn't help but laugh at that- this guy was a huge child.

It was then he decided that he was going to have to relax a little, having been walking around with perfect posture and a hand prepared to unleash each mini piece of artillery he had on his person. He was about to eat a crap ton of food, and this Gabriel person wasn't that bad company; who wouldn't be happy about that? There was no need to freak out.

Gabriel jostled up the stairs more quickly than Sam could, even with the advantage of his spidery, long legs. He was held back by the candy in his hold, but pushed on, making extra sure not to tread on any of the old books that seemed to completely coat the way up -a few of which, Sam noticed, were identical copies of the Holy Bible, both New and Old Testaments.

"We are headed this way." Gabriel toured, careening around a rather unexpected L bend on the second floor once Sam reached the landing. He frowned, following, the corner leading to a wall wrought with three doors, which confused him greatly, as he had already walked past four.

...Was this house the freaking Tardis?

"Bam. This is where all the magic happens." The Novak beamed, pointing to a sign scrawled with Gabriel's room on the farthest door. Sam caught up, admiring it, just as Gabriel pushed it through and welcomed him into his world.

If you like comics and movies, you'd love Gabriel's room. Not one wall was untouched by posters, not one corner free from a candy wrapper of some kind and a pile of memorabilia. It became clear that his favourite character was the Joker, and Sam also took delight to see that it had been this room that he could see glowing from the front lawn (if you could call the overgrown mass such a thing.), the orangey light emitting from the largest lava lamp he had ever laid eyes on. Gabriel's room was the perfect obsessive kingdom, and so much more.
It reflected everything he was, everything he loved, all he cared about. There were countless photos of him and Castiel dotted about, who Sam recognised immediately, but never any with anyone else. There were copies of Lord of the Rings strewn across the desk beneath his bed- which was a bunk, something that caused Sam's body to clench.