Historical Note #2: The Time War

The Time War was the most destructive, widespread war in the universe. It raged through countless time zones, in countless corners of the universe. Every day, new abominations were born and destroyed, each in an attempt to overthrow one of the two main sides fighting in the war: the Time Lords and the Daleks.

The Daleks sought nothing less than becoming the only creatures left in the universe. Mutants created only to hate and to fight, closed in their metal casing, they believed themselves to be the master race. They sought to exterminate all other species, and once they gained access to time travel, there was nothing stopping them from invading every place and time in the universe. So they spread, and their arrival was soon universally feared as a signal of a world's doomsday. The one race they could not bend to their will, at least at first, was the Time Lords of Gallifrey.

During this time, the Time Lords abandoned their traditional peaceful policies of noninterference. Many of the most forbidden and dangerous weapons, crafted in the early days of their civilization, were dug up from the archives where they were kept. The Time Lords used them all in an effort to beat back the Daleks, save one. The Moment, the galaxy eater capable of destroying entire world's, stayed safely locked away.

It led to a stalemate; the Daleks constantly replaced their ranks, at the same rate the Time Lords destroyed them.

The Doctor became the foremost Time Lord warrior. He became the only man that the Daleks truly feared, earning such nicknames from them as the Predator and the Oncoming Storm. He hated himself for it, and would later disown the regeneration that participated in the war.

As the war dragged on, the Time Lords saw no solution other than to dissolve reality itself, and began making their plans. The Daleks crept ever closer to Gallifrey, and when the attack finally came, the second city of Arcadia fell.

The Battle of Arcadia was, in many ways, the final straw for the Doctor. He would try to use the Moment to do the unthinkable, and end the war once and for all. His decisions on the last day of the Time War led to the destruction of Daleks and Time Lords alike.

Or so he thought.