Historical Note #1: Children of Gallifrey

Gallifreyan children, unlike their adult counterparts, age at the same pace as human children. It isn't until they reach the age of puberty that their long adult lives begin. The exact reasons for this are unknown, although it is thought to be a survival mechanism left over from an earlier age. They are typically raised in their families' households from birth through early childhood.

The degree of parental care can vary from family to family. Particularly wealthy or privileged parents may hire caretakers for their children. These children are usually not well socialized with others their age and ranking, due to the size and spread of families' estates. Before the children are enrolled in the Academy at the age of eight, they often lead lonely lives.

Upon reaching this age, the children of high-ranking members of society are taken for an initiation ceremony. Occasionally, especially talented or gifted children from lower classes will be accepted as well, although this is exceptionally rare.

The children are required to stare directly into a fissure in time and space. This is often their first glimpse of the time vortex, and reactions can vary wildly. According to an account by the Doctor, some children even went mad at the very sight of it, while he himself turned and ran away.

After the ceremony, children do not return to their families. They are placed in dormitories at the Academy, where they will spend the remainder of their childhood training to become fully fledged Time Lords.