First Down for the Girls~ Five

Start from the beginning

     "I just wanted to fit in with the guys."  I drop my head in fake shame, hoping he takes the bait. It was the truth, not the whole truth, but the truth. 

     "So, you figured lying was the best way?" 

     I nod.  "It's just that I've always been looked down on because I was so small.  I really want to play football, and I know I'm not the tallest, or the buffest, but for once, I wanted to be seen as useful, not just as the water boy, like on my last team."

     Hook.  Line.  Sinker.

     Pity flickers over his face for a moment, and I sit back in comfort.  "Look," he says.  "I get it.  Nobody wants to be the odd one out.  But I think you're a really cool guy, whether or not you are some awesome football player.  Don't waste your time trying to impress everyone."

     I let a silent moment pass, pretending to be in deep thought.

     "I don't like liars."  Ben says.  "Everyone in my life has been one.  And even if everyone else gives you a hard time, I won't.  So at least you'll have one person on your side." 

     "You're not going to tell the guys, right?"  I ask.

     "No.  As long as you don't keep faking, I won't say a word."  He says.

     "Thanks."  I mumble.

     "No problem."  He takes his glance away from my face.  I can't help but appreciate his attitude.  If it had been anyone else, especially Tristan, he wouldn't have thought twice about blowing my secret to everyone in camp.  But Ben is different. He's kind and mature; something I didn't know existed in his age.

     He jumps off the dryer.  "But you know, I have had something else that's been bothering me about you too.  You said you..."  His voice trails off as his eyes focus on the pile of clothes on the floor.  "Isn't that Tristan's suitcase?  And aren't those Tristan's clothes?"

     Crap.

     "Oh, those.  That's just... um... I was just...well..."

     "That's really nice of you.  Washing his clothes for him."  He says, relieving me of an explanation.

     "Yeah, well, they looked like they might have needed to be washed, so I just threw them in with mine."  I jump off the dryer as well, cringing as my back shoots with pain.

     "You alright?"  He asks. 

     I nod.  "Practice is getting to me, that's all."

     "Oh, here," he rummages around in his pockets, pulling out a small tube and passing it to me.  "Icy hot.  Helps a whole lot.  I've got a few more tubes at the cabin, so you can just keep that one."

     "Thanks," I say, as he starts to walk out.  "Goodnight."

     "Goodnight."  He flashes me a grin over his shoulder.  His smile is sort of... nice.

     No.  No. No. I don't have time for those thoughts.  I've got one mission.  I can't get distracted.

     But as I finish out the laundry, my mind starts to flood with thoughts. Thoughts about how different Ben is from the other guys.  How different Ben is from Tristan.  And maybe, if it weren't for these circumstances, we might have a chance.

     I rub some of the icy hot on my back before I wipe a tear from my dry eye.  I jump as I feel a sharp sting overtake my cornea.  I just about knock myself out from the inferno raging in my eyeball.  Silently screaming, I open the washing machine, and splash my eyes with some water, calming down as I start to feel some relief.