Chapter 3: Just be Yourself

~Your POV~

From then on, I would always meet Hajime by the fountain. We met every day after school, talking about nothing and everything. I enjoyed the days I spent with him and gradually, we grew closer. Every time I walked to the fountain I felt as if nothing could change my happy mood. However, today was a strange day and it definitely wasn't what I was expecting it to be. As I walked towards the fountain like I usually did, I spotted him sitting and chatting with an elderly man. I instantly recognised this man as Kazuo Tengan, the former headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy. Quickly, I hid myself by the nearest tree and waited. Despite it not being my intention to listen in, my curiosity got the best of me and I found myself listening to snippets of their conversation. The small parts that I did hear made my eyes widen.
"....I am not particularly in favour of that project..."
"....Hope comes from people just acting like people...."
"....But my family doesn't have the money for the school fees...."
"Do not fear normalcy."
Suppressing a gasp, I stayed behind the tree as I heard Kazuo's footsteps get quieter until they faded. When I was certain that he had gone, I stepped out and walked towards Hajime. The sight was terrible to see. His previously sparkling green eyes were now filled with various emotions, ranging from anger to sadness. His fists were clenched, his face was scrunched up in pain as if their conversation had physically hurt him, and his entire figure was shaking uncontrollably. He was suffering so much and seeing him in so much pain made me feel sadness and sympathy. I wished more that anything that I could take the pain away from him. But I couldn't. I could only walk up to his trembling form and pull it into a comforting embrace. He stiffened in my arms because I had made my presence known.
"(f/n)....?" His voice was so quiet and so broken that I tightened my grip on him.
"Hajime, what happened?" I asked gently, noticing how he stiffened even more in my arms. At least he wasn't pushing me away. He returned my hug, clutching tightly onto the back of his shirt, and he buried his face into my shoulder. He was in pain, that much I knew. So many questions were flowing through my mind at that moment. Why were they talking about hope? He can't stay in the reserve course because of the high school fees? What is that project? I wanted to ask him every single question, demand that he answer me right here and right now. Right now wasn't the right time though. Right now all I needed to do is comfort Hajime. As I felt moisture in my shoulder and his body shake, I heard his quiet sobs.
"(f/n).... what do you think about talent?" he asked so quietly I barely heard him.
My eyes widened at how correct my thoughts a couple of weeks were. "Talent is something everyone possesses, in one form or another." I said.
"In one form or another....?" he asked, confused.
"Talent can all be concentrated in one thing, or spread out into other areas. The 'normal' people are actually people who are talented at everything." I explained.
"Talented at everything?" he repeated as he inhaled shakily.
"Yup. They have the talent and freedom to be anything they want to be, not that talent is crucial. Hard work pays off a lot better than talent, I believe." I said, smiling at him when he moved his head from my shoulder to look at me.
Slowly, he returned the smile and I felt relief.
"Thanks, (f/n)." he said in a fond tone that made my heart flutter.
"You're welcome, Hajime." I replied softly.
After that, we chatted like normal and I realised, he looked so much happier now.

"You don't need talent, Hajime. Just be yourself. People will love you for that."