Chapter 10 - Daniel

Start from the beginning

Quietly Daniel took an empty seat only a couple of meters away from her. He opened the book and he started scanning the pages.

Apparently not only humans did crazy things for love.

Daniel couldn't believe he was actually doing this. He was reading a book on a topic that didn't interest him. He was stalking a girl he would never get. He was breaking rules that could get him killed. Somehow he didn't want to know how much worse it could get.

"Can you watch my computer for a bit while I get something to eat?" Melody tapped on his shoulder and Daniel looked up.

He swallowed a few times. Saying no would be weird, but he couldn't say yes either. If Melody was going to grab something to eat, he would have to go with her. "I was actually feeling kinda hungry too."

Melody sighed and she shook her head. "Fine, I'll simply close it then." She leaned forward while she closed all her documents. Her shirt fell open a little and her jeans tightened around her hips.

Daniel took a few deep breaths and he closed the book.

"Are you done reading the book already?" Melody turned around again and she put one hand in her side while she leaned on her crutch. She never noticed it herself, but she was cleary more tired than she thought. She would probably pay the price as soon as she would go home.

"No, I've actually only just started." Daniel scratched the back of his neck.

"If you give it to me, I'll borrow it for you so you can continue reading after lunch." She held out her hand and Daniel placed the book in it.

"Thanks, that would be great." He smiled, but Melody didn't smile back.

"Sometimes I can be pretty nice." She walked towards the counter and she waited until the lady had scanned the book.

Daniel knew she could be pretty nice. He had seen it during the last couple of weeks every time she had been with Max.

"Here, take care of it. I'll be in trouble if you lose it." Melody gave him the book back and she raised her eyebrows a little.

"Don't worry. I'll guard it with my life." Just like he was guarding her with his life. "So, how is the restaurant here?" He was not carrying a backpack so he was forced to hold the book while they walked down the stairs to the crowded cafetaria.

"I wouldn't keep my hopes up. The bread is kinda dry and there isn't much choice, but at least it's not that expensive." Melody shrugged her shoulders and she was slightly out of breath.

"Good, because..." Daniel scratched the back of his neck again. "I think I've forgotten my wallet at home."

"Seriously?" Melody raised her voice and she shook her head. "You're inviting yourself for lunch and you don't have money to pay for it?" She took a few deep breaths. "I don't even know you! Why would I buy you lunch without knowing if I'll ever get it back?"

"Our paths have always crossed again, right?" Daniel cocked his head a little. He knew however that he would never be able to pay her back. He didn't earn money. He would be able to steal it, but he was not sure if that was the right way to do it.

"No, it's fine. I'll simply watch how you eat." He didn't need to eat anyway, but that was not something he could tell her.

"No, I'll buy you a sandwich and it's a gift, okay? I give it to you. I don't need the money back. You can have it." She stood still and she ordered a sandwich with ham, cheese and pineapple. "What do you want?"

"I want the same as you have." Daniel shifted his weight from one leg to other. He didn't really feel like reading the entire menu while he had not the slightest clue what he liked and didn't like. He had never tasted human food before. He wasn't even sure if he would be able to hold it down, but that was something he was about to find out.

"Since I'm paying, you can at least carry the tray." Melody pressed the tray into his free hand and she walked to the cash desk. "You can find us a spot already." She lifted her chin a little bit up while she placed some cash on the desk.

Daniel nodded and he walked slowly towards the nearest free table. He put the tray down and he watched how Melody made her way towards him.

She stood out in the crowd. Her blonde hair seemed almost golden in the sunlight. The smile on her lips and the lights in her eyes gave away that she was in love. She was more beautiful than he had ever seen her before, but at the same time even looking at her hurt. She wasn't more beautiful because of him and somehow that still stung.

"Enjoy your meal." Melody grabbed her bread from the tray and she took her first bite.

Daniel hesitated for a moment before he took a careful bite too. He had never thought about what food would taste like. He knew that Melody used a lot of sugar, but he wouldn't be able to say if this tasted like sugar or not. He chewed a few times and eventually he swallowed. He regretted it immediately. A little piece of pineapple was stuck in his throat and he coughed a few times until the piece came out again.

"Hey, don't die on the sandwich I bought you, okay?" Melody looked up, but she had a caring look in her eyes and Daniel lifted his hands up.

"I'm fine, don't worry. I'm totally fine. More than fine. Thanks."