(Short story)

Maria Gabriella Avellaneda is the only daughter of the business tycoon Fernando Avellaneda who owns a chain of hotel not only here in the Philippines but also in different countries especially in Europe. Her father was known for achieving his success through discipline and hard work. Their family was very famous and influential, that is why everyone’s eyes are focused on her. She’s the only heir who will inherit everything that belongs to her father and that’s why she was trained at an early age. She was not raised in an ordinary way. When she was young, she didn’t experienced playing with other kids because she was home schooled. She doesn’t have many friends because her father told her not to trust anyone but him and herself. She grew up knowing all of his father’s teachings and became a responsible, disciplined and wise person who is worthy to be the successor of their family’s business. After she graduated from college, taking up Bachelor of Science in Accountancy and passed the CPA board exam, her father didn't help her to get a position in their company but instead she proved her capabilities and professionalism to the management that made them very impressed and automatically hired her.She became a junior accountant to their company for few years and promoted as an auditor after awhile. But in all of everything she achieved and done, she didn’t feel any happiness. She feels like she is a puppet or a robot that follows her father’s orders. She never experienced the words “free and fun”, because she was given a huge responsibility at an early age. Everybody expects a lot from her, all of the people in the industry keep an eye on her because she’s a big threat and competitor.

Soon after her father decided to test if she is ready to follow his footsteps, he asked her to be the one to negotiate to one of their potential clients. There, she was introduced to Lucas Gabrielle Alatorre, a young businessman who made his own name in the furniture industry. He was very in demand because of his classy and modern designs of furniture. When she saw Lucas, she immediately noticed how good looking the man is. He has a face and a built of a person who can become a model and have a career in showbiz industry. He is very handsome and smart looking too.

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Ms. Avellaneda,” he said with a smile on his face as he approached her.

Suddenly, she felt nervous and shy. The smile on his face made her feel uneasy, but still she remained composed and looks professional. She ignored her weird feeling towards the young man and proceeds to her task, which is to impress Mr. Alatorre and convince him to become their client and supplier of furnitures for their hotels.

But as she was talking and showing him her proposal, it seems like Mr. Alatorre isn’t listening and just nodding at her. “Is there a problem Mr. Alatorre? Is there something you don’t like about what I showed you or do you want to change or add more?” she finally asked when she realized that he’s not paying attention.

He shook his head, “No, there’s no problem. Your idea is great as what I have expected but…” he said. She felt relieved but at the same time nervous when he said “but”, because she needs to make her negotiation with Mr. Alatorre successful in order for her to pass in his father’s test. “…before I agree to this, I just want to ask you something.” He continued.

She wondered why he suddenly wants to ask her. “When was the last time you had fun?” he asked.

She was taken aback, she never expected that question and now she is confuse, why did he ask that? What is the connection of it to their topic? And fun? She never had one, fun is not her thing. She is not here to have fun but to fulfill her task. “I’m sorry Mr. Alatorre, but why are you suddenly asking me this kind of question?” she asked.

He cleared his throat before answering,“you see, if I agree to your terms and idea. It would make both of us,rather both of our businesses to gain and earn more than we earn before. But why do we need to make our business successful? Is it to have more money? Why do you practice your profession and do your work? Is it because that’s what you are supposed to do?” He paused for a minute then continued,“In life, we need to do things not because that’s only what we need to do.It’s also important to enjoy what we are doing, and by enjoying things you are doing, it becomes more meaningful. Meaningful because you won’t get bored, instead you’ll end up having fun while doing your work.” He explained.

“What do you mean?” she asked as she became more confuse. He looked at her and smile, “As I was watching you present your proposal, I notice that something is missing. There’s no passion as you speak, your eyes tells me that you are just doing this because that’s what you have to do. But nevertheless, you proposal was great. I just want that when we see each other again, I want to see you enjoy what you are doing.”

After her meeting with Mr. Alatorre, she can’t help but remember their conversation. Even though Mr. Alatorre accepted her proposal, which made her be promoted, still she feel bothered. What passion is he talking about? She thought. She looks at herself in the rearview mirror of her car. There she saw her face, then observe her eyes, noticing how bland her expression and dead her eyes are. Then she thought, maybe Mr. Alatorre was right.

 She tried to brush off her conversation with Mr. Alatorre to her mind but one day, when she is driving that afternoon, she saw Mr. Alatorre. He is carrying a couple of plastic bags and along with him are guys putting big boxes to his car. She got too curious that she didn’t even notice that she’s already following where he is going. After a few hours of driving, the car stopped at a big old house. She saw him went inside and after awhile went back to his car with an old woman talking to him. Then two guys came out of the house and help him carry the boxes out of the car to the house. When all of them are inside, she still waited for a few minutes. When finally she got bored of waiting, she decided to leave. But when she is about to leave, her phone rang. Without looking at the caller’s name she answered her phone. “What are you still doing there? Come inside,” her eyes widened as she recognized Mr. Alatorre’s voice. He knows that I was following him! She surprisingly thought. After arguing with herself whether to leave or go inside, she decided the latter. She got out of her car and slowly walks toward the house. When she reached the door, she took a deep breath and slowly opens it. There, she was welcomed by Mr. Alatorre’s laughter. He was surrounded by children who are giggling and sweetly smiling at him. He was giving the children gifts that came from the big box he was carrying awhile ago. When Mr. Alatorre finally looks up and saw her, he immediately waves his hand and asks her to come near him. “Can you help me distribute these gifts to these little angels?” he asked while smiling.

After helping Mr. Alatorre give gifts to the children, he and the children started to play games. As she was looking at them with silly smiles on their faces, she realized she want to smile like that too, she wants to laugh and enjoy with them too. But she thought, laughing and having fun together is not for her. She took a deep sigh and look down. As she was looking down on the floor, she saw two pair of shoes appear in front of her.Looking up, she saw Mr. Alatorre smiling brightly at her, “what are doing there? Join us!” he holds her hand and pulls her back to the children who are happily teasing them. They played different games like hide-and-seek and charade. She can’t stop laughing and smiling. She feels so alive that she doesn’t even want to go anywhere else and just stay there. Stay in this moment, stay in this place and time because for the first time in her life she finally experienced to be happy.