1

Landon Royal was already having second thoughts about this party. They were all the same, he thought. They were always opulent, expensive, and boring. He had attended hundreds of these in his lifetime. His father was still the most influential and powerful one of them all. Entertaining the nouveau riche and the socialites with parties like this was a norm for him. The beauty and fascination of it all had dissipated in his teens and all was left was the cold, hard truth. These people attended these functions because they were greedy, money hungry vultures who come to kiss ass and suckle at the power teet of Landon Royal Senior. Their fake smiles and lame attempts at polite conversation left him feeling irritated. There was once a time he called these people his friends and family. That was a very long time long ago. He needed to get out of the tuxedo he was wearing, get into a nice, worn pair of jeans and go get a real drink. Not this expensive champagne that left his head throbbing. He wanted a nice glass of whiskey.

" So Landon? What's your take on it?" Susan Hillard, a red-headed bombshell asked Landon.

He, however, hadn't been paying any attention to the conversation his so called friends were having. Yes, he had been thinking about why he still chose to continue attending these snobbish functions. He looked at Susan. She was smiling at him.

" My apologies. What was the question?"

" We were talking about all of this hoopla about plus-sized wome and models  Susie here, was just pointing out how unhealthy and irresponsible the media is being by exploiting them." A girl named Jennifer furnished for him, since he had missed out on the conversation.

" And don't forget unattractive," Susan added and all the females laughed at the mean spirited comment. 

He looked around the small group. The women were beautiful, nothing like a few million in plastic surgeryto make them all look "perfect", he thought. He actually appreciated a real woman One with ample curves, but who was he to divulge that information.

"I am a man. I think I have no right to speak on what is or isn't good for the female anatomy." He oozed that old Royal charm on them. 

He hoped his answer was diplomatic and charming, instead of how he really felt which was disgusted and turned off. 

The ladies and Susan seemed to enjoy his answer. They were all smiling at him now. He knew if he desired he could have them all in his bed tonight. His  wealth and circumstance allowed it. That wasn't what he wanted any longer. He saw his best friend Neil standing in the small group with him rolling his eyes at every word Susan and her friends had said. When the conversation went from full figured women to interracial dating Landon felt like that was his cue to leave. He politely excused himself, bypassed more party guests, and went in the direction of the bar in another room. Neil was right behind him.

" Whiskey sour. No ice." Landon complimented.

" Sir, we don't carry whiskey." The bartender informed him.

" Damn."

" I do have a brandy."

" That will do. Make it a double."

The bartender nodded and quickly slid him the glass with the amber liquid filled to the top. He immediately drank and savored the burn it gave. He noticed his friend in his peripheral standing beside him.

" Another. Keep 'em coming. " He placed a hundred bill on the bar. "Why the hell did I come here?"

" Same shit, different year." Neil quipped as he drank his drink. "I can't believe you're actually seeing her." He said talking about Susan."Total Stepford."

" She's not so bad." He tried justifying her. He really couldn't.

" A shark isn't as bad as her."

Landon looked around the room. No one seemed to notice his absence.

" Neil, tells my father I went home."

" Ok" he agreed

Landon walked out of the ballroom and immediately undid his bowtie. The valet had his Porsche waiting for him. He tipped him, got in and drove off into the night that would change his life forever...