Chapter 25

FLASHBACK

Bucky's POV

I quietly climb out of bed, making sure not to disturb El as she sleeps. I slip into my outfit and begin to prep my bag for the operation. El will have to forgive me just this once. She is to little to understand that what I do there is no choice but to get it done and over with. Before leaving the tent i walk over to where she is sleeping and tuck a note under her arm. Kissing her on the forehead, I tell her that I love her and I will be back before she knows it. Her eyes open slightly and in just barley a whisper, I hear her say 'I love you to daddy' before she drifts back to sleep.

I exit out of the tent and meet up with Steve, who is dressed in his Captain America uniform. "Are you ready to go Buck?"

"Ya, ya, can you just promise me one thing first?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"If I don't make it back..."

"Don't even say that Buck."

"No, listen Steve. If I don't make it back, I need you to take care of her. Take care of my daughter and raise her as your own. Tell her everything about me, all the satires that we share and teach her everything that I never got the chance to teach her. Tell her that I loved her, and that I never stopped loving her. Everything I have done has been for her. Can you promise me that?" I glance over to him, the sound of sorrow hanging in my voice as I suit up in equipment. He grabs my shoulder and pulls me close.

"I promise. But you promised her that you were coming back and that you were going to be there for her."

"I am, I'm just taking precautions."

"Let's got ladies! Hustle and move out!" The commander ushers us into a covered truck and we move out.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Okay, so for those who have seen Captain America: The First Avenger, you know what happens here. Basically, they move in to stop the train, but a HYDRA solider begins shooting at Bucky, Captain tries to stop him. There is a hole in the side of the train (from the attack), Bucky falls out of the hole, Steve tries to save him, Bucky ends up falling to his 'death'. The testing that HYDRA had done to Bucky saved his life as they experimented on him, only they had to amputate his arm, which is why he has a metal arm. This is what happens during this time lapse, and it picks up as they return to the camp.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Steve's POV

How was I going to tell her. How is she going to react? Can I really care for two kids at this point in my life, on the little salary that I have? All these questions begin flooding my brain as we are driven back to base camp. He's gone. He's really gone.

As we file out of the vehicle, all these thoughts are still clouding my mind as we enter the camp. All the soldiers are clapping and congratulating us on a job well done. I try to look up, but the grief is to much. I glance up just enough to see James and Eloise huddled together in the crowd. My eyes meet hers, and she try to search the crowd for her father. I walk over to her and crouch down to her level.

"Where...where is my dad uncle Steve?" Worry and panic fill her voice as she tries to see if he is amongst the crowd.

"El, you have to listen to me. There was a problem with the mission."

"What kind of problem?! WHERE IS MY DAD?" Her voice began to rise, it was evident that she was going to break down. The rest of the soldiers quieted down once she started yelling. I looked around to see all eyes were on us. I scooped her up in my arms and carried her away from the crowd. Her arms were pounding on my back and she was kicking me in the stomach, but I just pushed aside the pain and continued on. James ran up beside me and tugged at the hem on my uniform.

"Dad, is he...". I nod in response and he understands. Once we reach the opposite side of the base camp, were there is a river blocked by some trees, I place El down on one of the logs that are used as a bench. By now she must have understood as she was sobbing uncontrollably, trying to speak but it was impossible to understand. James sat down beside her and tried to calm her down, but he was just as heart broken as she was. Soon enough, I had two crying kids and I had no clue how to deal with it since I was going through the same thing they were. Instead, I wrapped them both in a hug and tried to calm them down enough that we could talk

After what seemed like an eternity, the sobs slowed down a bit and I was able to properly talk to both of them.

"Uncle Steve, why did my daddy not come back when he promised he would?" Her face was tear soaked and red. I didn't know how to phrase it in a way that she would understand, but I tried my best.

"Your daddy loves you very much El, more than you will ever know. But he is a solider, and solider have to protect those who are in danger. He died protecting you. He wanted me to tell you that he intended to keep his promise after this mission. He was going to take you far away from the war so you could live in peace. I'm so sorry Eloise." She breaks down crying again and I can't hold back my own tears anymore. James sees me like this and takes it upon him self to wrap El in a hug in order to calm her down. I excuse myself and walk over to the river shore. That stupid idiot. Why did he always have to go around being the hero?

"Dad" "Uncle Steve" I spin around to see both children approach me from behind. I hadn't even realized it, but tears were flowing from my eyes. I knelt down to face the children and they both wrapped me in a hug. I scooped both of them up in my arms and carried them back to the mess hall. Even though none of us were hungry, I don't think being alone during this time I the best for any of us.