prologue.

♟ ?????

I turn over in my bed towards the window to get a better look at the night sky. Narnia seems so much more mysterious at night like anything could happen.

The Telmarine castle was once my enemy and thanks to a certain someone it is now my home. My engagement is the only thing that's saved me from being killed.

I sit up in bed now too stressed to think about sleep. I swing my legs over the edge and get out of bed. I slip on the first pair of shoes my feet easily fit into and wander out into the hall.

I hear several solders rushing up and down the corridors and it sounds like they are going towards Prunaprismia and Miraz's room. I wonder if she's having her baby now. She did say she was due any day since the last time I spoke to her.

Suddenly a Telmarine man approaches and shoves me against the wall putting a wrinkled hand to my mouth. Immediately I use my defense attacks and elbow the person in the mouth and shove him off me.

"What do you think-"

"It's me!"

I look into the eyes of the person trying to pin point who it is and then it hits me, "Cornelius? What are you doing at this time of night?"

"There isn't much time, go get ready for a riding," he explains quickly removing the helmet, "Meet me down in the stables in five minutes. Don't let any of the guards catch you."

"But-"

"Now! I must get Caspian," he says and quickly retreats down the hall.

Cornelius has always been a good friend, so whatever task he needs me to do must be important. I rush back into my room and begin changing. I decide on pants, a long sleeved shirt, and pull on my boots. I may not have any weapons but I do have my mind and that is the most important thing I need.

I trained myself ever since I was old enough to learn. I know how to fight but only hand to hand. No one here in this castle thought I would need to know how to use a weapon, but I'm sure whatever is going on I would need to know.

I rush down to the stables being swift and silent as I go. A master of stealth Cornelius once called me. He said I can hide in shadows and move faster than anyone he's ever seen. At my last turn to get outside though I reach a small problem.

A guard stands armed with a spear. I quickly assess him. He leans to the left too much and he is taller than me and stronger, but that means he's slow and it's obvious he has a lack of balance.

I step into sight and the guard does not seem threatened, at first. Whatever is going on he doesn't know about it.

"What are you doing out of your room?" he demands.

Maybe he does know what's happening.

"With all the commotion I needed to check on the horses," I state firm and strong.

"Go back to your room," he orders me.

"You don't get to order me around," I say with as much authority as possible. I suppose here I surely have a little.

"Don't make me drag you there."

"I guess you're going to have to then," I glare and at the same time we both charge at one another.

I immediately slide past him on my knees while sticking my arm out to trip him, being sure to aim right for his knees. My attack works and he falls flat the spear flying out of reach and away from our combat. He tries to stand up but one of the only ways to beat someone bigger than you is to keep them on the ground. I rush back and kick him straight in the stomach and then kick him in the face. Blood comes spurting from his nose and I notice his mouth having a non stop river of blood flowing out.