Chapter One

I woke up by the sound of the rooster. I tried to open my eyes but my eyelids were like glued to each other. I wish I had more time to sleep. But not everyone had that luxury.

I forced my eyes to open. I looked at the window. It was still dark. I sighed rather loudly. I only had two hours of sleep. I shouldn't come home that late. And the worst part is I am a girl. No girl or women should go outside of the house after dark. But I had no choice. I sat down on the bed, trying to push my sleepyness away, and walk out of my room.

I walked down to my brother's room. Once the door creaked open. I saw the figure of my little brother. He was still fast asleep. I was about to wake him up but looking at his peaceful face, I held back. I should let him sleep more. I couldn't afford some medicine if he fell sick.

"I'll be back before noon," I whispered to his sleeping figure, and kissed his forehead. He stirred but didn't wake up.

My little brother, Franco, only ten years old. But he could act more mature than me. I was moved by rage and certain emotion. But he was moved by his thoughts. He think before he act, while I did the opposite. I was reckless. But without it I couldn't survive.

I started to wash myself and picked up the crops I've harvested. It was almost four hours walk to the city. I could make it three actually. If I run through the way and if I brought nothing with me. How did I know that? I've tried it before.

I started to gather up my crops. I tried not to make much noise as possible. I couldn't make Franco go back to bed if he was awake. I coudln't argue with him since he made some points and it would a waste of time.

Once my crops were gathered, I walked out of the house. The sun hadn't risen yet. The cool breeze from last night still lingered. It made me shivered from the cold. But the cold helped me not to sweat too much in the morning. I walked down the uneven ground. It felt like my eyes was on their way to shut again no matter how many time I assured myself that the cold should keep me awake. The fact is the cold lulled me to sleep.

"I see you didn't take my advice," I suddenly heard a voice from behind me. I snapped my head back. I saw the view of Lucas Strawford. The closest image of my father.

"I didn't have time to," I replied.

"That's what you said last time. Aeryn, you need to get some more sleep. Tell me, did you even sleep at all?" he asked in a concerned voice.

"I did. Don't worry," I assured him.

"For how many hours?" he asked again.

I didn't answer him right away. I sighed. "Two hours," I finally said.

He didn't say anything but sigh to my answer. He looked conflicted though.

"You've got to stop torturing yourself, Aeryn. I could help you if you have some difficulties with your brother's condition," he offered. This is the last thing I expected from him.

"Lucas, I'm fine. I could handle things you know that right? I could handle some fights with your men, I could deffinitely handle this," I smilled cheekily at him. It was true though. I could beat up some of his men the other day. It was a stupid bet made by those idiot men. Even Lucas bet that I would lost. So much for having faith in me.

"I know that," he snorted. "But that doesn't mean I could strand you and your brother after I promised to your father. I still feel responsible for you," he said.

"I know that. But don't get too worry about us. I could manage," I said, assuring him.

Just like that we walked together for three hours and a few minutes. I could feel my legs were really sore. But I knew this didn't end that way. I still have to walk for another mile or so to the market. Where the stingy sellers were.