"No," said Amaterasu, putting the notebook into a drawer, "I don't want to be a god. I'll be justice, like Kira was, but I don't need to be a god. Bringing the world peace is enough for me."

"Hmm... hey, do you have any apples?"

"Apples?"

"Yeah, you know, apples," said Ryuk. "I haven't had an apple from the human world in ages."

"Um, okay," she said. "Wait here. I don't want my dog to see you. He'll start freaking out, and then the neighbors might come over to check on me."

"Only people who have touched the Death Note can see me," Ryuk informed her.

"Oh," she said, walking towards the fridge, "well then. How convenient.
"Here you go."

"What the heck is this?" Ryuk said, holding up the yellow piece of fruit.

"It's an apple," Amaterasu said incredulously.

"What? No, it's not!" said Ryuk. "Apples are red!"

"What, you mean a fuji apple?" Amaterasu asked.

"Huh?"

"A fuji apple," she repeated. "They're a type of red apple grown mainly in Japan.
"There are different types of apples, you know. Some are red, some are yellow, some are green..."

"You're kidding me!"

"...there's fuji, gravenstein, bramley, mcintosh..."

"I don't even know what you're saying anymore!"

"What do you want me to do, go out and buy some?"

"That would be preferable, yes," said Ryuk.

Amaterasu sighed.  "Alright, let's go. We'll buy some apples, and then I'll start."

"Writing down names?" said Ryuk.

Amaterasu laughed. "Of course not, Ryuk. I can't just go ahead and start writing names. I know L was working on the Kira case last time, and since Kira vanished, I'm guessing that means L solved the case. I need to think this through."

"Not a genius like last time, then," Ryuk noted.

"Hey!" said Amaterasu. "I'll have you know that I'm very intelligent, thank you very much!"

Chiyoda, Tokyo  Japanese Task Force

"I can't believe this is happening!"

"Well, you'd better believe it, Matsuda-san."

"It hasn't even been a year since the last Kira showed up," Ide pointed out. "Even though that didn't last long."

"This isn't just a coincidence," Aizawa said, seated at his desk. "Criminals all over the world are dying of heart attacks. This has to be the work of a Death Note."

"The fact that this Kira learned from Light makes it even harder," Yamamoto brooded. "L was able to figure out that Kira was in Japan since the murders started there, and these murders seemed to start occurring all over the world."

"So now this Kira knows what not to do," Ide said with a sigh.

"We can handle this," Aizawa said, sounding more confident than he felt. The only reason they had stopped the last "Kira" who had been committing mercy killings was because Near, or rather, L, had talked him down. "We know what we're dealing with this time."

"That makes this the second Kira case in a year," Matsuda said with a sigh. "At this rate, with all of this going on, I'll never get a girlfriend."

"Sure," said Yamamoto, adjusting his glasses, "blame that on the Death Notes."