Chapter 10: "A Realization"

I woke up in a cavern.

Not a cave, or a forest hideaway.

More like a convene of people drunkenly walking around like it was the middle of the night.

A tavern, that's what it's called.

My eyes opened to amber shades of light above my head. An orb chandelier loomed over me. I was aware of the danger, but I simply didn't care.

"I have more to worry about."

I muttered to myself, getting up to close the open door, glancing back at the bed beside me.

Malachi laid there, snoozing peacefully at the edge of the furniture. His scarf hung over the left barrier like a wreath during Christmas.

I found it simply adorable.

Nodding slightly, I quietly scooted past the sleeping prince and back to my bed. I scavenged through my bag to find some food I had bought the last night.

It had been a while since I've been to a city, we crashed in a pub cause it was cheap and I didn't want to check into a hotel or inn.

The only downsides were the people.

Constantly drunk men often floundered about, hitting on everyone in their vicinity.

That of course, meant me.

I had sat quietly in a booth with Malachi, ordered a coffee so I could stay up long hours to write and organize the schedules he had for the next two weeks.

Being a guard is awful boring at times.

A man with a large beard came up behind me, poking my shoulder and asking if I would like to dance.

There was no music playing, so I politely denied.

The man wasn't exactly having that, complaining on how "he wasn't good enough?" Or "you're nervous arentcha?"

When I calmly asked him to leave, he pulled my wrist and I ended up in the center of the pub, face palming at my demise.

Malachi came up behind him and knocking the guy over his head with a chair, causing him to faint.

I exhaled, returning to my serious nature before Malachi engulfed me in a breathtaking squeeze.

"Y-Y/n!"

He stuttered.

"Are you okay? Did he hurt you?"
"No! I'm fine. Thanks.."

I replied, ruffling his chocolate colored hair and watching as he laughed, picking me up and holding me closer.

"W-what's all this?"

I asked, noticing the light blush on his cheeks.

"Hmm? Is there something wrong?"

He was concerned, setting me down and releasing his rather tight grip.

"No. But, er- are you alright? What did you order to drink Milord?"

I wondered, he shrugged, pointing back at our table before hiccuping.

A bottle of red wine, barely touched, sat there open and poured into a glass.