Chapter 15

A/N

Hiiii! Sorry it's been so long since I've updated, but I'm here now. Remember that your comments make me feel loved 💚 (that sounded desperate. oh well) Love ya!!!

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

I hold Mitch's hand in one of mine and my phone in the other as I start the FaceTime call.

"Hey, Mom." I say when her face appears.

"When are you coming home? Why are you still there? I thought you were leaving yesterday."

"Right, we were, but...okay. I have good news and bad news. Which do you want first?"

"Bad." she answers immediately. I take a deep breath and say, "Kirstie's in the hospital."

"Why?! And why aren't you with her?"

"She didn't want anyone but her fiancé there. I don't know if I told you this or not, but she found out she was pregnant, and she, uh, lost the baby. A few days ago. We obviously haven't been able to travel yet. The doctors said her body's under a lot of stress, so it's not safe for her to travel, especially all the way back to New York." I glance over at Mitch, who has his eyes trained on my phone. "Good news now?"

"How good is it?"

"It's the best news I've ever given you, I think." She smiles a little and says, "Alright, what is it?" Mitch leans over so he is in her view. Her eyes widen and her jaw drops.

"I'm back." he says with a smile as tears start streaming down her face. She sits in silence as he pulls himself into my lap and I secure my arms around him. After a few seconds of silence, she starts screaming for my dad to come, sounding like a crazy woman. I hear him coming and when he shows up on the screen he looks worried and confused.

"Dear Lord." he breathes when he sees Mitch. We spend a long time talking, and Mitch keeps avoiding answer direct questions about where he was, but my parents seem to understand that it isn't something he wants to talk about and stop asking. We promise to come visit once we get home and Mitch requests that they invite the whole family.

"Okay, I have to go. I'm so happy to see you, Mitch." my mom says.

"I missed you." he says back, grabbing both of my hands and holding them in his lap.

"When do you think you will be home?"

"Not sure, it depends on Kirstie."

"Okay, well, call me when you do. Bye, love you both."

"Love you too." I say before she hangs up. "I think you just made her day."

"Good." he says, turning himself around to face me. "So, I, uh, need some clothes."

"Right, and you don't have any."

"Right. So..."

"I can go get you some?"

"But I don't want you to leave."

"I don't really know what else to do."

"O-okay. If you go get some will you promise to come back as soon as you possibly can without getting hurt?"

"Of course." He leans forward and presses his lips to mine gently. "I have to walk, so it might take a little while longer."

"Can't you call that guy, Alex? Was that his name? Can he drive you so you can come back faster?"

"I can ask him." I call Alex.

"Hey, Hoying. Are you still in town?"

"Yeah. Uh, can I ask a favor?"

"Sure..."

"Can you take me to someplace where I can get some clothes?"

"Sure. No problem. When do you need me to get there?"

"As soon as possible, please."

"Okay, I'll be there in ten."

"Alright, thanks."

"Yeah." The line goes quiet and I turn off the phone.

"Ten minutes before he gets here."

"Hmm." Mitch bites his lip.

"What?"

"What can we do in ten minutes?" I smirk a little.

"How about you tell me?" He puts his hands on my shoulders and pushes me onto my back and sits on my stomach with his knees under my arms. He leans forward to kiss me and his weight shifts to my chest, making it harder to breathe. He takes my breath, anyway, when he kisses down my neck and to my slightly exposed collarbone and back up. He kisses every spot on my face, including the tip of my nose, and cups my face with his hands as I rest one of mine on his back. For a few seconds, he just stares into my eyes and I do the same.

"I love you more than I've ever loved anyone before." he says, brushing his thumb over my cheek.

"Have you been in love before?" He pauses for a second.

"No." I watch his eyes flutter shut as he puts his head on my shoulder. We stay this way until the knock on the door echoes through the house.

"I guess I've gotta go." I say quietly, earning a groan from Mitch.

"But you're so comfy. I don't wanna move."

"You don't have to." I secure my arms around him and sit up with him still clinging to me before I set him on his back. "See, I did all the work." He smiles a little and pulls me down to kiss him before I leave.

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

Mostly unsure of what clothes to get Mitch, I settle on a pair of black jeans and a loose fitting shirt.

"I'm guessing those aren't for you." Alex says as I set them on the counter and take out my wallet.

"Nope. How could you guess?" I hear a small chuckle from him.

"Intuition, I guess." A heavy silence falls over us until I say, "Have you seen Kirstie today?"

"Uh, yeah, actually. She's being released from the hospital tomorrow but has been advised not to travel for at least another day after that." I nod and take my bag from the cashier as another silence sits on us.

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

I walk into my bedroom with the bag in hand and find Mitch curled into a ball, asleep on the bed. The TV is on, playing Spongebob, and I notice that he is no longer wearing my shirt, but clutching it to his chest like a child with their blanket. I frown when I see the discolored skin of his back, decorated with bruises, and anger boils in my stomach. I sit on the bed behind him and whisper his name, setting my hand on his back. He jumps away and rolls over, and I cringe at the fear in his eyes. He relaxes when he sees me and disentangles one hand from the shirt to grab mine and pull it to his lips.

"Does your back hurt?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper.

"Not right now."

"But usually?" He ignores the question and sits up, taking the bag from its spot on my lap.

"I'm gonna go get dressed. Uh...close your eyes." I sigh and do as he says, opening them again when I hear the bathroom door close. When he comes out, I see a grin plastered on his face. "You know me so well." He looks down at the shirt, which is loose enough to show his collarbones but fits well enough to keep his shoulders covered. I get up to kiss him but am immediately cut off by a loud sound from the living room.

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️