Chapter Fifteen

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Marr

~Chapter Fifteen~

Restraint is not weakness, but mastery over our basest urges.

The troop carrier landed on the swaying grass, kicking up whorls of silt from along the stream banks. Republic troopers bustled into position, their weapons at the ready—a mirror image of House Thul's forces.

The Jedi raised his hand to stay his troops. "Hold your fire. I wish to speak to you, Sith. Perhaps we can settle this peacefully through negotiation."

He retracted his lightsaber, and for the time being, I matched his gesture and folded my arms.

"Then speak."

"You know my name—to whom am I speaking?"

"Who I am, will not affect the outcome. Say what you must, there are limits to my patience."

"Surely you can see she's only a girl and is of no tactical advantage to you."

"And yet, you expect me to believe a girl of so little worth, warrants a Jedi Master championing her release. She would be dead if not for my intervention."

"Yes, and for that, I'm grateful. I saw the Killiks and their shattered hives. I've served House Teraan for several years. Liaseph is a trusting girl and because you rescued her, she thinks of you as her friend."

"Then she is deluded. I have no interest in being her friend."

"Of course you don't—I sense the truth in your words. You want something more. Name your terms...perhaps a ransom."

"You've been among nobility for too long if you believe credits are the answer."

"Her father is sick with worry."

"Hmph, I'm sure he is."

"Then perhaps an exchange. The Organas have several prisoners in custody. I can negotiate with them. All I want is the girl safely returned to her family."

"A family she chose to flee in favour of death or capture—what does it say about them, that she prefers to be my prisoner? What does it say, that they are not here, but you are?"

"I don't know what you're implying, Sith. I'm a Jedi master and paladin to House Teraan. As such, I would like to resolve this peacefully—and in such a way that your superiors would approve."

"Hmph. My superiors," I scoffed. "Unless you mean to petition the Emperor himself, we are finished here."

"I'm warning you, Sith."

"You're warning me?" I chuckled, the sound low and cold in the back of my throat.

"You will release the girl and leave us in peace."

The Jedi's words tumbled over a subtle flourish of fingers. The gesture in itself was easy to miss, but the wheedling suggestion that accompanied it was meant to bore into the mind and twist the will.

"A desperate and foolhardy attempt on your part..." I snarled. At my bidding, the darkness rose from the ground, its coiling tendrils constricting the Jedi and his men where they stood. The troopers clawed at their throats, writhing for the want of air and when the clatter of their armored limbs stilled, I released them.

The Jedi hovered before me and I loosened my grip.

"You didn't have to kill those men," he choked out.