Chapter Three

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Marr

~Chapter Three~

What is regret...but the kind word left unspoken, the chance not taken, or the harsh lesson learned? It is all of these things, but most of all, it is the choice that hurts those who love us.

I peered around the edge of the tarpaulin divider, my mother's scream still sharp in my ears.

The alien stood at least a half meter taller than most men, a natural mail of rust coloured scales covering its body. Sharp talons tipped its hands and feet, and as if its natural defenses weren't enough, it wore heavily scored plate over its torso and legs. The ill-fitting armour bore half faded markings I didn't recognize, and I suspected the creature had claimed it as a macabre trophy from one of its victims.

It snarled at my mother in a guttural grinding language, and while I couldn't understand it, there was no mistaking the meaning behind the heavy blaster jammed up against her cheek.

Yellow needle-thin teeth flashed under crusty lips as it repeated its demands.

"I'm telling you the truth. I don't know any Darth Taxon," Mother whimpered. "We were never on Ziost. I swear."

The creature sensed her deceit and cocked its pistol.

I crept from behind the wall and inched closer. My mother's eyes grew wide. I knew she'd seen me and feared giving me away.

My heart skipped in a wild rhythm and my right hand opened and closed in anticipation of drawing my weapon. I craved the weight and feel of the lightsaber in my hand but held off. I couldn't show my advantage too soon.

Somehow I had to lure the alien away from her.

It smelled liked a greasy bantha hide and I realized at that moment, that I stood too close. My mother realized it too. I held my breath and backed away.

The alien's nostrils twitched as it registered my presence.

My mother slammed her heel down hard, stomping one of the being's scaly toes. It snarled what I guessed was a curse. It didn't suffer for long, but the distraction was enough. Taking advantage, she jostled free.

The alien whirled on me. What happened next, happened so quickly I often questioned my memory of it.

The beast charged. I fell backwards and drew the hilt of my lightsaber before the full crushing weight of the alien landed on top of me. I gasped, unable to breathe. My thumb twitched. The lightsaber extended and liquid heat leaked over my hand and up my arm before the wound cauterized. The alien's eyes grew wide and a thread of spittle spilled over its lip.

Our eyes met and a gurgling hiss escaped it as the glossy green eyes cracked and dimmed. I retracted my blade and pushed at the fresh corpse pinning me to the floor. My teeth clenched from the effort and I panted. My mother tugged at its arm until the body shifted just enough that I could scramble free.

Green blood oozed from underneath it. I expected more, given its bulk.

I stood frozen, my feet rooted to the floor. Unable to breathe or move or speak, I stared at the corpse at my feet. Its tongue lolled from the side of its mouth and the stench of its innards made my eyes water. I had never killed anything before.

My mother knelt before me. She caressed my face and her fingers raked my hair. Satisfied I wasn't hurt, she embraced me.

"Ares, you could've been killed." She chided me between sobs and kissed the top of my head no less than a dozen times. I rested my chin on her shoulder and closed my eyes.