X: Noise

January 17, 2027

Karlsruhe, Germany

The rest of the night was a blur of fading shouts and rushing wind. They got out like a breeze through a crack, swift and unseen. The wind's fists banged against their helmets as they sped through the infinite darkness, Natasha's leather gloves gripped tightly on the handles of her sleek midnight devil. The streetlights shut and the dim house lights were swallowed by the black nothing dusted with the glittering stars that watched from above. Sharp turn after sharp turn took them farther from the city until they found themselves in a forest that neighbored the lively cement conurbation. The silhouettes of the thin trees stood tall as it's finger-like shadows crawled towards them, scratching at the soft dirt below their feet.

They moon hung brightly, its pure light reflected on their stiff fingers that was wrapped around triggers; a puff of white explosions released from their mouths and noses. The night was cold and empty as they searched the leaf-covered ground for their quinjet. No words left their mouths while their eyes darted from one side to the other, it was so hidden that even the world's greatest assassins had difficulty finding it.

Natasha walked behind James, her back facing his while checking for any stray followers. You could never be too safe in a forest, in a foreign country, with a city that has a Winter Soldier program.

She heard James stop in his tracks, she turned around to find that he found the quinjet. It's exterior a black matte that camouflages in the darkest of places. Natasha gave a quick glance around the perimeter before she walked inside, they threw their duffles on the metal perforated display paneled floor. James sat in the pilot's seat and started the engine, it hummed ever so lightly as it began to rise from the ground. Rotten leaves fluttered and ran for safety as the air blew from the turbines. Trees rattled and shivered as they reached the peak of the forest and flew across its deep green seas.

Natasha sat behind James, her seat facing a screen and keyboard. The yellow, green, red and blue lights of the control panel flickered in the darkness of the cockpit. James kept his focus on the view in front of him, he couldn't go on autopilot until they left Germany. He pressed a grey button to his right and felt the quinjet vibrate as its mirrored panels reflected their surroundings.

Natasha uploaded the information and pictures she got from her Trojan. Pictures scattered across the screen, it was of documents, receipts and permission to go forth with the initiative. She focused on the typed and handwritten notes; orders of a chemical called Cerulean Bite. A blue serum injected into each subject, these orders were shipped by none other than The Merchant. These documents and receipts of course do not say what the serum is made out of but it seems as if they ordered enough to create an army. So far they have no subject that has survived the serum which means that they still have time to destroy the initiative before they find success.

She continued to examine the papers, there was no sign of Marlisa, not even her name in fine print. It didn't shock Natasha of course; Marlisa doesn't want to be traced back to this program if the word is ever out. Especially if there's no success attached to it; what a coward. She smirked at the idea.

"Have you found something interesting? Or are you looking through some pictures of me?" She could hear a smile on his face.

She turned to face his back. "You wish."

He laughed and turned the quinjet on autopilot. "We've finally passed the border, where to next?"

Natasha glanced back at the screen to find where the last document was written. "France. Rouen to be exact."

January 18, 2027

Rouen, France