Eventually they reached the cave that would take them up the sandy slopes and across the first stone bridge. For the moment, everything was dull shades of blue or gray as the darkness enveloped them, with the rough, stone walls shielding them from the outside world. Just outside the cave, on the other side of the stone confines of that cave, the bubbling of lava as it moved along could be heard.

Once they stepped outside again, the wind rushed by Link's ear and suddenly his cheek was bleeding.

What? What happened?

He looked at the others. Zelda had pulled out her bow and readied an arrow, her eyebrows furrowed as she scanned the area. Ghirahim snapped his fingers for daggers, murdering whatever poor soul he had just set his eyes on. Link mimicked Zelda, his eyes carefully running over every rock, every detail as he realized what was happening. If he even saw the slightest movement...

A bokoblin dared to show its sagging, wrinkly face. A worn bandana was tied over its face, allowing Link to only see the eyes and the long, dog-like ears.

Link quickly sent an arrow flying into the thing's chest. Silently, it fell and died.

Another arrow grazed Link's ear. However, as he whipped around and readied another arrow, the bokoblin squealed and fell off its perch on the high rock, rolling down the sand and into the lava.

Zelda lowered her bow, the arrow she previously held in her hand gone. She let out a puff of air as she pushed damp, blonde hair out of her face and looked at Link. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine."

Zelda glanced at his bleeding ear as a small drop of blood fell from it and splattered on the dry ground at his feet, most likely realizing how close he had been to getting an arrow through his skull. But she said nothing.

They continued on, this time with Zelda and Link walking side by side while Ghirahim was behind them, talking the day away. However, at some point, Ghirahim had fell silent and retreated to the sword.

They clambered up what was once a cliff, but had collapsed into a pile of rocks perhaps during a past eruption. They were silent, careful to not slip on any rocks and tumble down to their deaths. Link had to help Groose, with one arm around the redhead's shoulders, and for twenty minutes they struggled up together. Once they were at the top, they began walking on a narrow path, which had obviously been carved out of the side, leading up the side of the volcano. From where they stood they could see glowing rivers of lava trailing down the sides and converging into one, big pool of lava that was dotted by various strips of land. If you looked beyond these rivers and pools, you could see the Triforce guarding the desert, although the desert itself seemed to be hidden from view. Even further, to the west, the forest could be seen with its sparkly lake and the Statue of the Goddess guarding that area.

It was while he was up here, with one of the younger Sheikah among the group clinging to him for dear life, that Link decided to ask Zelda what happened in the desert. The question had been killing him, but he felt as if then was the time to ask.

"So, Zelda," Link said. The woman tilted her head towards him slightly when he spoke, although Link couldn't see her face. He couldn't keep up as well with the Sheikah (whose gender he wasn't sure of) on him, listening to their conversation, but he didn't have the heart to tell them to get off. "What happened in the desert when, you know, you wound up at the Temple of Time?"

He watched in confusion as Zelda's gaze fell towards the ground, her head hanging. Link wondered if he was seeing things but he thought everyone glanced at him as if to warn him, to tell him that he had done something wrong. Link gulped.