The Clark Lake Story - a featured location in the novel

Beginne am Anfang

Water skiing on Clark Lake dominated lake sports in the 1950s and 1960s.  In 1957, the Pine Riders Water Ski Club was created by Jon Broderick, who later became a local skiing celebrity.  Aside from hosting many ski shows and tournaments, The Pine Riders installed a slalom course and a ski jump along the south shore near the west end of the lake.  Clark Lake since has been home to many national water skiing champions.

As the story goes, Clark Lake is home to the modern day pontoon raft, a watery innovation which dates back to 1907 when Steven and Claude Heywood laid planks of wood over oil barrels and put a small shanty on top making it a virtual floating cottage.  Clark Lake celebrates its love for the pontoon raft every summer with the annual and ever-popular Raft-O-Rama.  The first Raft-O-Rama celebration was organized by Mary North Reynolds back in 1961.  Year after year, Clark Lake residents eagerly look forward to “dressing up” their rafts according to a particular theme.

Consumers Power

Michigan’s power provider, The Consumers Power Company, capitalized on the beauty of Clark Lake by establishing recreation grounds, an employee clubhouse and a swimming beach on the north shore the lake.  The local institution was established in 1923 when the non-profit organization purchased the 10 acres of farmland adjacent to the C. L. York farm.  The Consumers employees and their families were given the opportunity to savor the joys “at the lake” throughout the summer months.  The club was also open to the public for a premium fee.  Members enjoyed swimming, baseball, shuffleboard, miniature golf and dock space for a boat.  The property changed its name in the 1990’s to the Clark Lake Beach and Boat Club when Consumers pulled the funding, but still remains a non-profit club.

6. Eagle Point

Located at the center of the southern shore of Clark Lake is Eagle Point, a prominent point that has long been considered the heart of the lake.  The Eagle Point House, which was the first hotel on the lake, was built in the mid-1880’s at this location by John Delamater.  As the popularity of summer recreation grew, a new two-story, Victorian-style Annex was added to the hotel as well as a two-story dance pavilion in 1897.  The Eagle Point Resort offered many amusements such as canoeing, fishing, rowing, dancing, roller-skating, miniature golf, bowling, boxing, baseball, a shooting range and the famous toboggan slide.  The hotel was later purchased by H.A. Every and Son in the fall of 1915 and sold once again in 1956 to Calvin ‘Cal’ Pittman.  On March 11, 1958, a massive fire, which was visible for up to 15 miles away, destroyed the original hotel.  The blaze was so enormous and such a sight to see, it attracted hundreds of on-lookers.  Later fires in 1970 and 1986 also claimed the Annex and the Pavilion.  In 1960, the Eagle’s Nest Restaurant was built on the coveted location.  The Eagle’s Nest became a popular gathering spot for the locals, thanks to the Friday night fish fries, delicious hamburgers and delectable drinks.  The “Nest” changed ownership two more times over the years and served its residents and visitors for more than 50 years before closing in 2011.  In 2000, Cal sold the remaining property to the Dunigan family, who over the years, built The Eagle Point Resort Marina and Boat Club which consists of a marina, a party store, lakeside cottage and condo rentals, and The Pointe Bar and Grill.

It has been said that Eagle Point received its name based on an article that had been published in the Jackson newspaper in 1888.  The tale tells the story of a few young men who were hiking through the area when they reached the tip of the point.  It was there they spotted an injured bald eagle that had fallen from her nest in an old oak at the end of the point.  The men took the bird home, nursed her back to health and eventually returned the mother bird, which reportedly stayed at that very same nest for several years thereafter.

7. Beach Bar

Located at the east end of the lake sits Ocean Beach Pier.  This was the most renowned local venue of the “Big Band” era, where “dancing under the stars and over the water” held sway.  Established by Leo Steinem, father of famed women’s activist Gloria Steinem, it was at this popular dance pavilion that the future proprietors of the Beach Bar, Harry and Marie Collins, met in the early 1930’s.  Ocean Beach Pier was located almost directly across the road from where the Beach Bar now sits. The dance pavilion was torn down in 1944, but it wasn’t long before another Clark Lake institution was born.  On Saturday, July 27, 1946, Harry and Marie opened the Beach Bar on Ocean Beach Road.  Almost named The Clark Bar, Harry and Marie’s continuous drive and hard work over thirteen years earned the Beach Bar a reputation as one of the most popular bar/restaurants in the Irish Hills.  The business was sold in 1959 only to be re-acquired by Harry and Marie’s son Tom and his wife, Peggy.  They re-opened the Beach Bar under the Collins Family name on January 25, 1976 and brought the Beach Bar back to its former glory and reputation.

Spirit Trail

The Thomas R. Collins Spirit Trail at Clark Lake is a seven and a half mile non-motorized trail circling the lake. The trail was the dream of Tom Collins, a lifetime resident of the lake and owner of the Beach Bar. The trail was started in 1995, and is fully funded from private donations. It is multi-surfaced, with paved streets, concrete paths and dirt roads. Parking is available at the east and west ends at the county and township parks.  The trail is the venue for the Run Clark Lake race series held each year on the first Saturday of August.