Chapter 1

The next day Naegi woke up at 6:00 AM. He quickly got up his bed and started getting ready. He would be lying if he said he wasn't panicking at least a little bit. In reality Naegi was a mess.

What am I doing here?

He had no special talent, a great skill or anything. He was only here because of luck, and we'll you know how that's turning out.

This was all a mistake, luck isn't even a talent a normal guy like me shouldn't be in this school.

Naegi quickly ran out of his room and headed to his first class. He was late, no surprise.

In each class on the first day, the students of Hope's Peak were asked to introduce themselves to their classmates and speak briefly about
their futures. Naegi felt awkward and embarrassed, first of all he came to this school with no talent whatsoever just luck and he had no idea what he wanted to do in the future. He explained that he never expected to come at Hope's Peak and he hoped he would enjoy his experience, gain many friends and work his way to figuring out what he wanted to do.

In any normal school this would have been a fine answer but this wasn't any ordinary school, this was Hope's Peak Academy and Naegi could already feel all the glares he gained from all over the class. Everyone looked at him in shock, what was this clueless boy doing here?

After a ten second period of silence the teacher moved on to a girl behind him. His thoughts were such a jumbled mess  he didn't even hear who she was, but as class progressed he was aware that she seemed to be studying him intently. Again Naegi felt embarrassed.

                           ••••••••

Sitting outside now, he could breathe a little bit. He inhaled the fresh air and smiled. This felt better.

It was only the first day, first days are usually awful right?

He checked his phone and noticed he only had a half an hour left before his break from his classes ended. His stomach then suddenly rumbled, he should probably get something to eat.

He stood up and was about to go buy something until he realized he left his wallet in his dorm. He face palmed, can this day get any worse?

He sighed completely defeated, there was no way he could get it and still find some time for him to eat.

"Hey nugget!"

Naegi turned around to see a tall boy with messy hair, a half unbuttoned shirt, a loose tie and some baggy pants. This guy seemed all over the place.

"Are you talking to me?" Naegi asked confused.

"Yeah you nugget or was it egg, I don't know I'm not good at remembering names," The stranger said sitting next to Naegi.

"I'm sorry do I know you?"

"I was in one of your classes today, or maybe more than one I don't remember they're all the same anyways," he scratched his bushy mane of dreads.

"But yeah there was something strange y'know, the whole stereotypical student interview stuff we all gotta go through to act impressive and shit and I remember yours and being like why's everyone so upset with my boy Eggy."

"Uh yeah sure," Naegi said confused.

"My name's Makoto Naegi, what's yours?"

The boy shuffled around in his pockets for a cigarette and lighter, well Naegi thought it was a cigarette.

"Yasuhiro Hagakure, you smoke?" He lit the joint and inhaled before offering it up to Naegi.

"N-no thanks." Naegi gave a nervous chuckle and waved his hands in front of him, "I don't smoke."

"It's not a cigarette dude that's gross, I'm smoking weed, 4/20 blaze it!" Hagakure said proudly.

"You're smoking weed?!"

"Yup!"

"AT SCHOOL?!"

"He is and he should probably be less obvious about it."

Naegi turned his head and saw a tall boy casting a disapproving glance at Hagakure. He was dressed sharply, he sported a black jacket, black slacks, a white dress shirt and a bow tie. He wore glasses that completely suited his face shape, which was also framed by his carefully styled blonde hair. He looked like he was going out for business or something.

These two are friends?

"Togami, just the man I wanted to see!" Hagakure grinned as he patted the ground motioning Togami to sit down next to them.

"Come share this joint with me."

Togami rolled his eyes, "idiot, you're causing a scene. This is not the time and place for this."

"Seriously dude? Why are you so uptight, it's not a big deal.." he went to take another drag and in an instant Togami snatched the joint, crumbled it up and threw it on the ground.

"WHAT THE HELL MAN?!" Hagakure scrambled to his feet, eyes wide open. "That was perfectly good weed, you better pay for that!"

Togami was completely unfazed and he just crossed his arms.

"What a huge waste! See how this guy treats me Eggy," Hagakure says finally noticing Naegi.

"It's Naegi."

"Yeah Eggy I don't care, we're best best friends and he treats me like this!"

He turned back to Togami.

"He's a monster, honestly, truly!"

Togami ignored him and turned to Naegi.

"What are you doing here?"

"I-I uh was just hanging out you know, looking at the scenery." Naegi panicked.

"There is no scene here, you may go."

"No I um didn't mean it like that, I meant I was sitting here looking at the garden-"

"I don't remember saying I cared, go."

Naegi nodded as he stood up and began to walk away when Hagakure pulled him back.

"You don't have to let this cocky bastard bully you Eggy! You have the right to stay here like everybody else does!"

Naegi was stunned and tried to muster up a response when Togami turned his back.

"Hagakure we're leaving."

Hagakure sighed, "yeah yeah I know." He released Naegi's arm and ran towards Togami waving his hand at Naegi, "see you new friend!"

They walked away and Naegi couldn't help but sigh in relief.

Realizing that it must be time for class now, Naegi gathered his things and made his way into the building.

A strange school, surrounded by strange people but hey at least a made a friend.