Chapter SEVEN

"The more I get to know him, the more my soft spot for him intensifies, and that has been bothering me quite a lot recently." Nancy walked across the school courtyard with none other than William Cooper, talking about her confusing feelings for his best friend. It was a strange thought, but for some reason, she felt she could trust him.

William looked thoughtful for a while. "Nancy, I will tell you this: Andrew's family is very powerful and very influential. He has always had a rather rocky relationship with his parents, who have neglected him ever since he was born. When he was young, they would always leave him at their town house in Bedfordshire while they spent most of their time in London before they moved there permanently. Soon after that, Andrew moved to Oxford, alone again. But no matter how tough he acts, he has never gone against his parents' will...until now. Because of you."

"Me?" Nancy was surprised.

"His family would never approve of him being involved with someone of a...well, a lower status than them," he finished apologetically. "But he is ready to risk the wrath of his parents just for you."

Nancy processed that information. "He is not involved with me though."

William rolled his eyes. "He can't exactly openly court you and then marry you. He has to work strategically." They had reached the gates now and exited the campus. "Should I walk you home?"

"If you want," Nancy said nonchalantly, her thoughts still on Andrew.

Her mother, however, was delighted when she saw William Cooper at her doorstep. "Lord Cooper, please do come inside!"

"Mrs. Brooks." William smiled pleasantly. "I would love to, but I have to get going. I regret to say that I have important business to deal with right now."

"Of course!" Her mother was practically glowing with happiness. "You are a busy man, of course! Do visit someday, my dear!"

When he was gone, she turned to her daughter. "I am so proud of you."

Nancy rolled her eyes. "Ma, I am not some kind of social climber."

"I don't expect you to be, but this is so good for your future, dear."

= = =

"You should not be walking home alone at night, Nancy." Andrew caught up with her as she left the campus premises.

"I will walk home alone whenever I want," she retorted, irritated. She had lost track of time in the library and had not realized that it was already dark. "I am not one of your delicate dependent ladies who needs a chaperone with them all the time."

"I know you don't need a chaperone." He grinned. "But it wouldn't hurt to have someone who could act as one. Me, for instance."

"No." She quickened her pace. He followed her easily, his longer legs giving him an advantage over her smaller frame.