Chapter TWO

Mulai dari awal

"I am the assistant dean of Oxford, Stephen Colborne." His voice was low and tired.

"Pleasure to meet you, sir." Nancy wondered why she was given so much importance that the assistant dean was personally talking to her. She had done nothing wrong. Well, at least it is not the dean himself, she thought.

"That was a very brave thing you did back there, Miss Brooks." Nancy could tell his words were careful and calculated.

"I thought it was the right thing to do." She frowned. "Nothing brave about it." After she had lunged forward to grab him, she had screamed at the spectators (who had stood horrified) to help, her as she could not carry his weight on her own. A few people had come forward and helped her pull him up.

Mr. Colborne continued to watch her silently. "Well, Miss Brooks, this is a very prestigious university." His voice was meaningful.

Nancy looked at him in confusion, wondering what he was trying to say.

"We would not want people to find out that an Oxford student jumped off a balcony," the assistant dean continued.

Comprehension dawned on Nancy as she registered his words. She stayed silent, matching his gaze.

"I am going to be direct with you, Miss Brooks. What would you have of me in return for your silence?" This caught Nancy off guard again.

"Mr. Colborne," she began slowly, "this is a serious matter and should not go unnoticed."

"And it will not go unnoticed," he replied easily. "We have taken notice of the matter and will do what it will take to prevent further similar incidents."

"Incidents?" Nancy tried to keep her voice steady. "Is that what it's called now? It was a suicide attempt!"

The assistant dean watched her silently again. "I am not denying the severity of this situation. However, that is not the subject of discussion at the moment."

Nancy remained quiet.

"A quick background check on you tells me that you work at your mother's laundry shop, which does not generate enough profit as it is. There must be something you need that you cannot hope to get with your family's current financial standing." At these words, Nancy could not help but feel a twinge of surprise and annoyance at his directness.

"Tell me, Miss Brooks." His voice was slow and clear. "Is it money? A new job?"

Nancy watched him expressionlessly.

"Land? A suitor?" The assistant dean's voice seemed to come from far away as Nancy slowly processed his words.

There must be something you need that you cannot hope to get with your family's current financial standing...

A part of her mind wondered. Money? Yes, it was difficult, but they made enough for the two of them, and Nancy would never accept money from anyone. A new job? She wouldn't mind, but she would not take that favor from anyone either.

There must be something you need that you cannot hope to get with your family's current financial standing...

"Mr. Colborne," she began, "I think there is something you can give me that would keep me silent."

= = =

Her mother was strangely calm. She listened quietly, and when Nancy had finished explaining everything and waited for the reprimands and anger, none came.

"I will, of course, continue helping at the shop," Nancy added at the end of her story.

Her mother nodded slowly. "I am just warning you, Nancy." Her mother's voice was stern, but Nancy could hear the concern behind it. "Things might get bad for you, and soon. If you are willing to deal with that, go ahead with your decision to attend Oxford."